kaput v6

wrenny

Hello everyone, yes this is a first post although i have been a member for several years and have used the site for help maintaining my 96 300 tdi disco ! I dont know how to look at this, but i have either been fortunate or unfortunate to be given a Y reg freelander v6 .Bodywork is immacculate with all extras and only 49000 miles on the clock.Now for the bad bit .As most of you will have guessed it has engine problems ! i have replaced thermostat,expansion tank and cap as they were the easiest option.However this has not cured the bubbling in the expansion tank bottle and eventual overflowing , i think im probably right to say that the head gasket(s) need doing.Firstly i would like to know if anybody thinks its worth it, secondly if its a job that can be done by a reasonably competent diy`er,thirdly should it be done by somebody with all the proper gear to do so , and lastly if there is anybody in kent (medway towns) area who would be willing or able to do the job for me if it is deemed too advanced for me ?

many thanks in advance john

Not aure about the v6, I have just today finished the head gasket on my 1.8. It was a fairly easy job, I would think any compentant diy'er should be able to do it. I didn't skrimp on the job though, head was pressure tested and skimmed, PRT thermostat was fitted, water pump replaced, header tank and cap was replaced, the cap is a new pressure relief type. I hope that this is the end pf HG probs for my car.

The v6 is going to be a bit more involved, how do you find out what HG is blown, do you do both at the same time? I would think that if you can do the work yourself it will be worth it, if however you decide that a garage should do it the cost might be probibitive.

It cost me £32 ti get the head skimmed, you probably will need both done if you decide to do both HG's.

If you are fairly competant and have a Haynes manual and/or a Rave disc then it should be doable.

HTH,

Gaz

Hi Gaz and thanks for your reply .I have read quite a bit about the 1.8 hg and about using the uprated gasket etc. I have done a few head gaskets in my time but am reliably informed that the 2.5 can be a pain.Depending on who you listen to some say that the liners can move some say they can move if the engine is turned whilst the heads are off etc etc.Tbh i am getting a bit worried now .I think all i want to do is get it running ok and then sell it on.Obviously i would get the heads skimmed and tested and get it sorted ,but ,even on ebay there are cars the same with hg problems declared selling for 5-9 hundred pounds.If i were to spend money on it i am wondering if i would get that much profit out of it ? As i already have a disco i cannot justify let alone afford to run the freelander too.I have a dilemna

Hi Mr Bean and thanks for your input.I have been trying to get hold of a recon engine or at least a working replacement,without joy, i might add.The £2000 you were quoted is about what a recon is now and a working engine with a 60 day warranty is about £800.With your worst case scenario comment i have decided that i really have no option other than have a crack at it myself.Im going to do a bit of research and find out if removing the engine and doing the work on the bench is best or try to do it in situ and any other problems im going to come across.Will get the heads skimmed and tested and if it starts afterwards it will be a bonus .hoping for a dry weekend this week and i will make a start

Hi all , just thought id add a thankyou to those of you who have commented and given me encouragement for the job in hand , im honestly quite worried about doing it ! Thankyou to boyt for the kind offer of the loan of your timing tools but as you can see im in kent so wont be able to take you up on your offer.If im honest im still hoping to find somebody to do the job for me but unless i get lucky between now and the weekend im afraid its going to be me who does it.But thanks all

kv6 head gaskets is a big job to do (as in lots of work because there is 2 heads!!) but is a fairly simple engine to work on

hardest bit will be getting timing tools to time it all up right and dont turn it over with no heads on as the liners will lift off there seats

if you need any advice give me a yell as have done loads of these being a ex mg rover dealer tech ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all , just to say that the freelander is still sitting on the drive un-touched .Unfortunately ive just endured my second bout of pneumonia so its been on the back burner til im all well again.Will hopefully start week after next .