Td5 fuel Pump with a 200tdi

Td5 fuel Pump with a 200tdi

My plan is to use the fuel system from the td5 frame with my 200tdi engine, my question is whether I should use the fuel pump that that the TD5 has in the tank along with the 200 lift pump or disable the intank pump somehow.

Also some thoughts on leaving the filter by the rear wheel as opposed to on the bulkhead where the 200 normally is.

Many Thanks

Use a ROW-spec fuel tank sender, this is designed for use with the ROW-spec vehicles that used a Td5 tank (and body) but 300Tdi engines, which were lift-pump equipped obviously.

It's the shape of the fuel pump, but only has a sender and a pick up and return pipe :)

I have on in the workshop, as I'm using a Td5 tank on my 200Tdi 110 rebuild. I'll dig out the part no. for you :)

Ok the part no is WQB100440. Used on Tdi from 1998 on (ROW-spec) and Tdci from 2007 on (Puma engines have a lift pump like Tdis).

Like this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150490015298

I know it says pump, but it's not a pump I assure you. Land Rover just call it one, and this chap on eBay is using the LR part description from Microcat. The Td5 sender/tank unit IS a pump, and as we all know is quite a bit more expensive.

The low pressure flow and return pipes in the TD5 fuel pump drop straight down into the swirl pot. So I've connected the fuel pipes for my 200 to these. I see no reason to shell out more hard earned when I already have something that will probably work. The next 6 weeks or so will tell, once it's on the road.

Mo

The low pressure flow and return pipes in the TD5 fuel pump drop straight down into the swirl pot. So I've connected the fuel pipes for my 200 to these. I see no reason to shell out more hard earned when I already have something that will probably work. The next 6 weeks or so will tell, once it's on the road.

Mo

This is what I was thinking, use the existing setup without hooking up the pump. Has anyone had a truck running like this yet? I'd hate to put it all under the truck and not have it work.

Well mine started today after 2 years of idleness :) It's not been driven but ran for 4 hours today on axle stands :)

If you pull the pump out, Tomaco1, You will see that the connections for the low pressure side (the 2 on the right as you look forwards) just drop straight into the swirl pot via quick fit couplings. Just like pick up tubes ;)

I've only wired the sender unit and that works fine :)

HTH

Mo

I used TD5 dash, rear and wing harnesses, battery wiring and underseat fuse box. The only custom wiring I had to do was the engine bay - temp sender and dash mod to route signal through the resister in the speedo, glow plug circuit and an ignition switched supply for the fuel stop solenoid which I routed through the existing inertia switch. Surplus wiring and plugs can just be tied up out of the way or removed as the need takes you.

All power comes through the underseat fusebox. Get power to that, plug in the harness and your lights, wipers heater etc will all work.

If it's already there installed then you're laughing :)

Regarding the fuel filter, I'd use the 200 set up on the bulkhead. It's less exposed and easier to get at. It's probably easier to get a filter too and I'll bet a damned sight cheaper !

HTH

Mo

• 2 months later...

Road trials have proved that the TD5 pump is unsuitable, the pump not allowing fuel to return to the tank at high revs and so making a bloody awful mess in my engine bay by blowing out of every spill return connection. Further research indicates that there is a pressure operated one way valve in the LP return. I suspect this could be circumvented by cutting the return pipe on the pump itself above where it fits into the swirl pot as I think the valve is where the pipe fits to the swirl pot.

However, as I've got to drop the tank and I go to the Pyrenees in 8 days I've ordered a WQB100440 and I'll fit it on Tuesday when it arrives.

I hope this is of some help.

Mo

• 3 months later...

Ouch,

I just read this, and i'm about to start the truck for the first. What ever happened with this?

Couldn't it just be sent back to the filter on the bulkhead like a TD?

Tom

Road trials have proved that the TD5 pump is unsuitable, the pump not allowing fuel to return to the tank at high revs and so making a bloody awful mess in my engine bay by blowing out of every spill return connection. Further research indicates that there is a pressure operated one way valve in the LP return. I suspect this could be circumvented by cutting the return pipe on the pump itself above where it fits into the swirl pot as I think the valve is where the pipe fits to the swirl pot.

However, as I've got to drop the tank and I go to the Pyrenees in 8 days I've ordered a WQB100440 and I'll fit it on Tuesday when it arrives.

I hope this is of some help.

Mo

Got the truck running today, had the same problem with the back pressure, although mine seems to be more at the fuel tank.

Also, everthing works, but the lights are on all the time, I can't get them to go off?

But all in all looking pretty good.

Rear window on the crewcab does rattle like a Bi*#th though.