Series iii mix and match

RobSmith

Good stuff - solid job there!

Use the stainless steel with care - it isn't as strong as normal steel, and can corrode bare steel. Use isolating washers if you are using the stainless steel next mild steel.

Also it sheers a lot quicker than normal steel, so shouldn't be used in high sheer potential applications.

I found your views on the galv interesting - I've a ltwt chassis to repair and am going through the same sort of debate. What I had in mind was to get the chassis dipped, and then fill the interior with gloup, similar to your custom, but using new engine oil with the waxoil.

G.

Question Rob

Are the spring mounts lowered? You have added box section on the underside so I assume the body has lifted compared to the axles. If not, aren't you in danger of hitting the axles on the chassis (with some wild articulation)

Nope,

The spring mounts are in the same place.

The bump stops had a spacer about 1"1/4 between them and the chassis.

I am just going to use the bump stops without that spacer so they too will be in the same place.

Rob

Admin,

I have tried logging out and re-booting. Hopefully you will not need to check this.

If you do I will clear my cookies out.

Rob

I think he is only adding back as much as he already chopped off, one of the previous posts says he chopped 2 inches from the bottom of the rail to get to good metal, I could of course be entirely wrong though.

I have chopped away 2 inches and added 3 so a 1" addition in chassis depth.

I did not want to cut away the full 3 inches as I wanted to leave as much of the chassis as I could so it held its shape.

The bump stops had spacers between them and the chassis. I will remove these and then they end up in the same place.

Rob

I forgot to add that in these pictures the axle is not bolted in and the chassis is just resting on those wooden blocks in the pictures and why it might look close.

I had to lift it up about another 5 inches today to get the bolts in to move it around.

Rob

Thinking about it it was only about 5 inches at the rear end of the springs so the chassis maybe only went up about 2.5" but there is plenty of axle movement space.

I had another grinder adventure further forwards on the chassis today and discovered more rust behind the front outriggers. These had been previously changed so I had an exploritory grind and found it was not as sound as I thought...... there is now a big hole where it was ready for more fresh steel.

Rob