Has anyone shipped a Land Rover to the US?

I recently asked a question about a 6x6 Land Rover that I was considering buying/running as I will be working in California again from July for 6 months and could not face the prospect of driving a Buick rental and would like to explore a bit whilst I am over there. I get a generous car allowance when I am over there and can take the cash equivalent which works out about £850 per month plus fuel.

Speaking to someone over the weekend about it, they pointed out whenever you buy a car you usually make a loss especially if you are under pressure to sell. So why don't you just export yours? The car allowance "should" cover the transport costs you could container your Land Rover and new trailer over to California use it and then bring it back at the end, they also belied that as it would not be "permanently exported" I would not need to jump through hoops converting the 110 to US regulations, and that my 110 is to young for export.

So questions:

• Is this correct? can I just stick my 110 in a container and drive it over there with no issues?
  • Has anyone on here done this?
  • What about insurance etc is it easier to get US insurance?
  • Would I need to continue UK tax/MOT?
  • As the MOT runs out in October would I need to get 12months put on before I go?

Cheers, Jason.

I think you'll end up spending too much time, effort and money in doing that for a 6 month period.

I'd rent a yank tank ! v8's galore !

G

A few years ago I would have agreed and rented something big.... however I guess it's a sign of the times that rental companies are getting tight on what you can hire, main stream no more big trucks at LAX thanks to the tree hugers!! As my 110 is not my main drive any more I could lose it for a month with out an issue hence the thought of shipping mine over to the US, I quiet fancy doing some semi overland over there Road trip!!

Jason

Hi Jason,

We shipped our Camel over to Baltimore in 2007 for a small holiday ;)

* Is this correct? can I just stick my 110 in a container and drive it over there with no issues?

Pretty much, yes. You'll need to sort yourself out with an agent to receive and clear customs at the port of entry and there are a few bits of paperwork you'll need to complete to get the car into the US. You'll also need to provide a bond to say that you'll be taking the car out of the country within 12 months. Our agent put this bond up for us and as we brought the car back to blighty we didn't have to find the money. IIRC it was about £10k. However, I think California has its own laws about vehicles... I could be completely wrong but I vaguely remember reading something about cars having to be registered in California if they are there for any more than 6 months. We were only there for 2-3weeks, but the question was asked my Mr Gun-wielding-Rayban-wearing-Plod.

We used a company called Kingstown Shipping based in Hull to organise the shipping, and an agent in Baltimore to organise the US side of things.

* Has anyone on here done this?

Yes... me & SWMBO :)

* What about insurance etc is it easier to get US insurance?

You won't get a UK company to cover you over there, you'll need to get US insurance. We got ours from Sunrise who are based in Florida. IIRC it was about £500 for 5 months cover.

* Would I need to continue UK tax/MOT?

Not sure... Mr US-Plod didn't really understand out MOT and V5 etc when we did get pulled over but we worked on the theory that whilst the car isntt permanently exported, its still subject to UK laws. No idea if this is actually the case, but made sense in our minds.

* As the MOT runs out in October would I need to get 12months put on before I go?

As above, better safe than sorry.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to pester me and I'll see what I can do.

Dan

If you have any specific questions, feel free to pester me and I'll see what I can do.

Dan

Thanks Dan,

You will be sorry you offered!! my I ask how much it cost? which is the first go/no go gate. also did you go for a container or ro/ro I understand if I go container I can take all my overland kit with me but if it's a ro/ro it has to be empty?

Regards, Jason.

You will be sorry you offered!! my I ask how much it cost? which is the first go/no go gate. also did you go for a container or ro/ro I understand if I go container I can take all my overland kit with me but if it's a ro/ro it has to be empty?

We took the REALLY expensive option!

You can go Ro-Ro but any kit that is in the vehicle is at the mercy of the ships crew. Our shipping agent also said that the shipping company may well turn the vehicle away if its loaded up with anything as they just don't want to take the risk. We also weren't willing to take that risk seeing as we had all our flights booked etc etc, so we booked a container. These come in 3 flavours 20ft, 40ft and 40ft high-cube. A standard 110 should fit in a 20ft. We went for a 40ft high-cube because the camel has got that stupid big roof-rack thing going on, so the extra height provided piece of mind as we knew it would fit through the doors! We could have got into a normal hight container if we'd let tyres down or strapped up the suspension, but it just wasn't worth the agro. It cost us about £3k for the round trip. If you ship in a container you'll also have to list everything thats in there for customs. Remember you are not shipping an expedition prepared Land Rover, but a Land Rover and a very long list of stuff, right down to knives and forks! Your agent in the US will be able to advise on this.

If the US agents fees aren't included in the shipping you'll need to sort this out too. But for the life of me I can't remember what it cost :(

Taking your own vehicle may be an expensive option, but it's so much more fun! The San-Bernadino mountains offer some pretty cool challenges, and of course if you are willing to travel a bit further then there is that off-roading mecca, Moab

;)

I'm assuming that shipping to the west coast will be more than shipping to the east cost, so you could drive across... follow the old Route 66 or something like that, Sod the cost... just do it!!

Totally go for it, I'd love to drive round the US in my Land Rover :)

Not sure you'd need an 'expedition prepped' vehicle though. The USA isn't a third world country, a standard vehicle and some camping kit would suffice!

I know it's not the third world, but I have the gear most fitted to the Land Rover so thought I would take what I needed camping gear, roof tent etc hence the question about taking things in the Landy, What I need to figure is will I get the time whilst I am over there, last year I had a few weeks off but came home in that time, If I can get Mrs S to bring the kids over we could have a family road trip.

Jason.

There is ample opportunity to get off the beaten track and get totally lost for a few days :-)and you can get to some pretty isolated places while still having the benefit of a wal-mart within a couple of hours drive :rolleyes::lol:

We took the REALLY expensive option!

I'm assuming that shipping to the west coast will be more than shipping to the east cost, so you could drive across... follow the old Route 66 or something like that, Sod the cost... just do it!!

Thanks again for the information, I would love to do the old Route 66 and may look at doing that on the way home but know I would not have the time on the way out but the reverse leg would work out over the Christmas holiday so again could involve the children. The cost is not really the issue but time I have to remind myself that I am over there to work!! Well some of the time!!

I think I would need to go for the 40ft high so I could take my trailer also if the kids are going to come over, I will speak to a shipping agent over the next couple of days and start to get some costs and Ideas. My thoughts are I could have the Landy shipped over to west coast getting the container delivered to our warehouse so it is ready when I get there, as above it would be great if on my return we could do a West-East road trip sticking the Landy in a container in New York and getting a flight back from there.

I found the bit of law/international treaty that says I can take my own car there for a year without US registration, I just need to check about the law in California about how long I can keep my Landy in state without registering it, as clearly I couldn't register as it falls outside DMV regulations for import.

I will let you know how I get on.

Jason.

Jason, there isn;t much of the 'old' route 66 left these days........ precious little in fact!]

Also, factor in the climate when you plan where you might be when, as the weather can be really odd, and altitude plays a big part on that, pikes peak for example, not far from denver, is inpassable until june...... ish!

Another thing to bear in mind is that 'if' the alifornia rules make it hard to get the truck in, then just go to another state, such as washington.... seattle being a good option!

Ron.

Jason, there isn;t much of the 'old' route 66 left these days........ precious little in fact!]

Also, factor in the climate when you plan where you might be when, as the weather can be really odd, and altitude plays a big part on that, pikes peak for example, not far from denver, is inpassable until june...... ish!

Another thing to bear in mind is that 'if' the alifornia rules make it hard to get the truck in, then just go to another state, such as washington.... seattle being a good option!

Ron.

Hi Ron,

As I clicked on 'add reply' I did think about the weather and know that we may need to shift the journey further south, the Route 66 thing was really I don't want to do the drive on Interstates, and want the kids to experience some "real America" not just the Disney version they are used to!! the whole California thing is because I will be working/living in Santa Clara so there is no way around it.

Cheers, Jason.

Not sure you'd need an 'expedition prepped' vehicle though. The USA isn't a third world country, a standard vehicle and some camping kit would suffice!

Don't be so sure - we were 640miles between Petrol Stations at one point :i-m_so_happy: America also has some fab bits to get lost in instead of taking the 'normal' roads - BLM (beauru of Land Management) land also means rough camping galore :)

I loved it, so much there, mountains, lakes, canyons, volcanos, wilderness, lava beds, Yellowstone, Moab, Colorado...(oh, and the Cheesecake Factory < sigh > ... great days.

Dan's SWMBO ;)