What to do with a 2.25 diesel

Ratty43

I now have a Series 3 88" into which the engine from my Disco will be going in the not to distant future, thus the 2.25 is going spare. What I want to know is if they are worth anything as a complete lump, more or less as parts (injection pump etc) or is it best just to strip into constituent metals and take it to the scrap yard with the Discovery.

Thanks in advance.

If it's a runner I'd bung it on eBay with scrap value as reserve and a short end time, as far as I know they're worth half of sod all these days unless by some miracle they've managed to become rare enough to interest the rivet counters.

It'd be a rubbish genny engine. @1500 rpm (cos it won't last long running at 3000 day in day out!) the power output will be far too large for a domestic supply and it'll drink go-go juice very rapidly!

Gear it so the genny runs at the correct RPM at tickover then. Sell electrcity to your neighbour.

no good for veg oil either - the injection pump upper bearing relies on lubrication from the diesel, and the veg oil never makes it through the holes to the bearing.

They can be modified, but ...

G.

It runs well so I'm assuming the pump and injectors are good to sell. I'll strip it of all the ancilleries and scrap it I think. Just seems a shame since it starts well and runs nicely. Thanks for all the advice.

I know its O/T but I was in a pub called "The Reckless Engineer" in Bristol on Saturday night, named after you was it? :D

Across from Temple Meads, I know it well and remember it vaguely at the same time :blink:

Mate of mine is just about to rebuild a 2 1/4 Diesel for a SII. mad fool!

as far as I know they're worth half of sod all these days unless by some miracle they've managed to become rare enough to interest the rivet counters.

That's what is happening as more Series motors become show-going toys I think. Like when I was looking for an engine for my 88, I found that the 2.25 diesels were fetching near on 100 quid for one with an unknown history and if you were super lucky you'd see a video of it running.

Mate of mine is just about to rebuild a 2 1/4 Diesel for a SII. mad fool!

They aren't that bad when in good order!

why scrap it if it's so decent. I'd much rather give it someone who wanted to use it than land £20 from a scrapyard.

Well said!

The current craze is to rip these engines out and fit Tdis. I replaced my 12J engine with a Tdi because I needed to keep up with expedition convoys, but otherwise would have kept the 12J - it was simpler and much quieter and smoother. Sure, the NAD struggles a bit on the motorways' hills, but other than that, I preferred its general characteristics to the Tdi, which a a raucous and agricultural lump.

Well said!

The current craze is to rip these engines out and fit Tdis. I replaced my 12J engine with a Tdi because I needed to keep up with expedition convoys, but otherwise would have kept the 12J - it was simpler and much quieter and smoother. Sure, the NAD struggles a bit on the motorways' hills, but other than that, I preferred its general characteristics to the Tdi, which a a raucous and agricultural lump.

In short the 2 1/4 is going because I have spent a lot of time and money over the last year overhauling the Tdi, since the cost of changing the engines is less than getting the 2 1/4 to the same standard it's not a difficult decision to make. I'm going down the Di route to start with (NOT starting a debate!) as it is going to be cheaper and easier. As to giving it away while I agree in principle the change of vehicles is being done on a tight budget so every little helps. I'll stick it on ebay as a complete lump and see what happens before looking at stripping it and scrapping the block, the trouble with living close to Lands End is that I have a very limited local customer base and most people are in the same financial boat as I am.