Guess the weight time

sutty_32

A previous suggestion on this forum (but I can't find the thread) was that if the chassis was fitted with the rear axle and wheels, it would still be under 750kg and could therefore be legally towed without brakes so long as a suitable trailer board, mudguards, towbar etc were attached in an appropriately secure manner.

I've seen worse things on the road....

Nick.

I had a chassis delivered by Richards when they were still new (new owners now I think?) this was delivered with a small towing dolly strapped under the back and an A frame strapped to the front with a trailer plate hung over the back. After he had delivered it he just loaded all the bits in the back of his car a drove home with no trailer.

I thought it was a neet sollution at the time but I have no idea how it would stand up in law as the trailer was essentially held together (very well I would add) with ratchet straps and un braked.

The trailer is by no means a bodge job, was built on a good strong chassis and is used to carry the track car regularly. It is twin axle with brakes which work well, and a cable for applying the brakes should the trailer come off. It is easily capable of carrying a 200kg chassis and I can't see any way in which it could be considered unsafe, although you are right, without a weight stamp Mr policeman just say its not safe to tow any weight?

Its a shame its so bloody long, could have put the back seats down and had it in the back otherwise, only weighs as much as a fat person :P

I didn't intend for the thread to become another trailer law one (there are some already on here) but thanks for the advice, I didn't know the rules as I thought I did :unsure:

Our caravan has nothing? (that I've noticed...) :huh:

Sorry Ross, my information was a little mixed up, it the trailer is less than 1500kgs the trailer should be fitted with a device to prevent the nose of the trailer hitting the ground if trailer becomes separated i.e. a safety chain or on the Sankey trailer a skid plate. Over that a brake away cable is needed.

I just found a great Linky that covers all the C&U regs including weights and sizes etc.

Jason.

The trailer is by no means a bodge job, was built on a good strong chassis and is used to carry the track car regularly. It is twin axle with brakes which work well, and a cable for applying the brakes should the trailer come off. It is easily capable of carrying a 200kg chassis and I can't see any way in which it could be considered unsafe, although you are right, without a weight stamp Mr policeman just say its not safe to tow any weight?

Its a shame its so bloody long, could have put the back seats down and had it in the back otherwise, only weighs as much as a fat person :P

I didn't intend for the thread to become another trailer law one (there are some already on here) but thanks for the advice, I didn't know the rules as I thought I did :unsure:

As my earlier post above and also the link you don't need a plate, however if you were worried about not having one, they are available on ebay you could buy one stamp it up and stick it on the trailer giving the weight that you can legally tow.... Job done.

However you don't need to go to those lengths, you are only going to be picking up 200kgs of chassis so not even on the limits of what you can legally tow. Most peoples warnings were about plated trailers and you going overweight because of the plate not the actual weight which you don't need to worry about.

Jason.

Sorry Ross, my information was a little mixed up, it the trailer is less than 1500kgs the trailer should be fitted with a device to prevent the nose of the trailer hitting the ground if trailer becomes separated i.e. a safety chain or on the Sankey trailer a skid plate. Over that a brake away cable is needed.

I just found a great Linky that covers all the C&U regs including weights and sizes etc.

Jason.

Its a secondary coupling that keeps it off the ground, and still attached to the vehicle, it isnt for a breakaway situation. Which makes sense as none of our caravans have been 1500 or more apart from the latest one.

For trailers up to 1500kg laden weight, it is permitted to use secondary coupling, which in the event of separation (NOT failure) of the main coupling, will retain the trailer attached to the towing vehicle, prevent the nose of the trailer from touching the ground and provide some residual steering of the trailer

The jockey wheel is what does the job of a "SKID". Trailers up to 1500kg can have either a breakaway coupling (and skid) or a secondary coupling like a heavy chain. Above that it should be a breakaway coupling. Under 750kh and without brakes a secondary coupling is a legal requirement. It doesn't have to keep the nose off the floor but it does have the keep the trailer behind the car.

1986 was when the C&U were introduced, before that pertinant rules existed but if your trailer was built or significantly modified since then it must comply, including brakes that re auto-reversable.

The jockey wheel is what does the job of a "SKID". Trailers up to 1500kg can have either a breakaway coupling (and skid) or a secondary coupling like a heavy chain. Above that it should be a breakaway coupling. Under 750kh and without brakes a secondary coupling is a legal requirement. It doesn't have to keep the nose off the floor but it does have the keep the trailer behind the car.

1986 was when the C&U were introduced, before that pertinant rules existed but if your trailer was built or significantly modified since then it must comply, including brakes that re auto-reversable.

On at least the last three caravans, all under 1500kg, there is no way the jockey wheel would hit the ground before the hitch, they are tucked right up in the A frame. Bailey are not going to be selling an illegal 'van!

......... Bailey are not going to be selling an illegal 'van!

Agreed, so they must have an understanding of the law and how it applies. I must admit I had not heard about trailers needing a skid until recently but I vaguely remeber something about them having to continue to follow the towcar, as in not veer off to the side or into other traffic.

If you are concerned try the technical helpline at Towsure, I've used them before and found them quite well clued up.