cooling problems

ski33

i have just put a new head gasket on the freelander 1.8 and a new thermostat bled the system with fresh coolant

it starts and runs fine and gets up to operating temp but the bottom rad conection where it joins the thermostat seems cold at all times as do the rad, held the hose and reved engine and plenty of presure comeing through ,it seems like thermostat is not opening,also the temp stays at normal on gauge at all times but the coolant pipe feels realy hot to touch ,ive taken it for a run for a few miles and it dont seem to over heat,

is this normal ????

If it's not overheating then it sounds like it's working as it should, the stat will open around 80-90deg (maybe more) which is pretty hot to hold your hand on, and the water coming out of the radiator should be cooler than that going in for obvious reasons :P

thanks for the fast reply ,just couldn't get my head around why its not pumping water around the rad.

i know it would be colder coming out but I'm talking about stone cold at that end of the rad so its not circulating as i thought it would.

just checking i havent missed anything.

Mine is the same, just done the HG and fitted a new remote thermostat and water pump...... bottom hose is always cold, temp guage is about normal and heater works.

The bottom hose was like this before i did the work so at that point I assumed there was no coolant flow through the rad hence HG went.

Now not so sure, I think it might be fine the way it is, the car runs better, smoother, uses no water and has no oil/coolant mixing.

I have posted this point elsewhere and not had a conclusive answer, anyone care to let us know if this is right or wrong.

Cheers,

Gaz

pretty much the same its a 2004 so it has the upgraded thermostat but I'm going to drain the coolant because i was a bit generous on the mixing of it maybe thats keeping the temp down low enough for the thermostat not to open?

Put a premixed antifreeze in today and went for a run slow roads motorways ext ext 30 miles and still no flow but no overheat and oil and coolant is good heaters are fine so I guess it's the way it is.

Also not much pressure than usual in expansion tank.