defender rear hub

defender 2003. due to a scary experience i have replaced rear wheel bearings and stub axle with new parts. i have gone to lift hub onto stub axle and it won't slide on all the way, maybe an inch. i withdraw hub and rubber seal and bearing race are left on stub axle. i have tried putting bearings on stub axle and don't appear to want to slide. i'm using timken bearings stc4382. any ideas as i'm puzzled. stub axle was new and supplied using vehicle vin number. thanks

there are 3 stub axle part numbers depending on the rear axles serial number, but the wheel bearings are a common part, maybe the stub axle diameter is at the maximum allowed makers tolerance & the bearings are at or near the lower end of their makers tolerance, you can see the part numbers/axle serial number info on this page http://www.numcat.ru/landrover/p/31/52628/

who was the supplier of the stub axle & bearings, as they won't fit together, you should talk to your suppling dealer about the problem 7 exchange of parts.

there are 3 stub axle part numbers depending on the rear axles serial number, but the wheel bearings are a common part, maybe the stub axle diameter is at the maximum allowed makers tolerance & the bearings are at or near the lower end of their makers tolerance, you can see the part numbers/axle serial number info on this page http://www.numcat.ru/landrover/p/31/52628/

who was the supplier of the stub axle & bearings, as they won't fit together, you should talk to your suppling dealer about the problem 7 exchange of parts.

i will give them a call, they are my local independant landrover dealer. the spacer which sits between bearings slips on ok. i had some new older bearings on the shelf which don't want to slide on either. thanks for your speedy reply

hope they can solve the problem for you.

gave them a call and they tried one in the shop and they found abit tight as well. got it on now good news.bad news is the spacer between bearings on my year.got a new purple one and its giving abit of play when fully tightened. wondering does that spacer really need to be there?