200 tdi running temp

The scenario - A fully laden 200tdi 110 travelling through the French Pyrenees in august, ambient temp of 30 degrees plus, new rad (britpart item didn't look very good quality), water pump and viscous fan fitted.

Temp gauge is aftermarket digital type and normally runs between 80 and 83 degrees during normal driving in England.

After 10-15mins of climbing through the mountains at low speeds temp was up to 89-90 (thats with heater on full) which prompted me to pull off the road and leave engine running for 15 mins to cool down rather than risk cooking the engine a thousand miles from home.

A bit over cautious? Am not sure on the accuracy of the temp gauge you see. When tested against a digital thermometer (both immersed in a cup of just off the boil water) it was reading 5 degrees lower which may put the actual temp at 95. Guess I should test it in water at a rolling boil and look for 100 deg?

Anyway ideas on how to make engine run cooler? Very frustrating having to stop and cool engine when all that exploring to do.

Wondered about alisport aluminium rad?

Cheers Mark

I would expect the engine to be hot under those conditions, but I wouldn't have thought you'd need to pull over and let it cool down.

They were tested in hot conditions, hence why they're so over-cooled in our home climate, so assuming the cooling system is working well and in good condition it should run fine in those temperatures.

I would suggest that the viscous fan will shift far more air than any electric one will! :P

Main reason people fit electric fans is to help with warm-up (as the viscous unit is not perfect) and to save the 0.001hp it uses. But with a viscous unit working properly, the engine-driven fan shifts a massive amount of air. Sounds like a jet engine too :lol:

I would suggest that the viscous fan will shift far more air than any electric one will! :P

Main reason people fit electric fans is to help with warm-up (as the viscous unit is not perfect) and to save the 0.001hp it uses. But with a viscous unit working properly, the engine-driven fan shifts a massive amount of air. Sounds like a jet engine too :lol:

Anyone else have a digital temp gauge on a 200tdi? Would be interested to see what temp they can safely reach.

Mark

Anyone else have a digital temp gauge on a 200tdi? Would be interested to see what temp they can safely reach.

Mark

I too have an aftermarket digital temp gauge on my 110 200tdi (although mine is an ex disco engine).

I find normal driving is around 72 ish mark and under heavy load/towing up hill with the caravan it will raise.

One thought is your thermostat at fault?

I could be wrong, and my wife tells me often ;)

I too have an aftermarket digital temp gauge on my 110 200tdi (although mine is an ex disco engine).

I find normal driving is around 72 ish mark and under heavy load/towing up hill with the caravan it will raise.

One thought is your thermostat at fault?

I could be wrong, and my wife tells me often ;)

Actually the block is from a disco but turbo etc all original. Have tried a couple of stats and current one is a genuine item. Stat is rated at 88 but it seems to open at 83 on gauge as temp suddenly falls at this point after 5-10 mins of driving.

So could assume gauge is reading 5 degrees too low, which means engine reached 95 - too hot?

Mark

I think you are being a bit too cautious; the system is pressurised, so the boiling point of water will be over 100C.

I don't have the figures to hand, but my Morgan is considered OK up to 110C with a 15PSI radiator cap.

After a Google, I have found the figures, Engineering Toobox, which suggests that all Morgan temperature gauges over-read!

I think you are being a bit too cautious; the system is pressurised, so the boiling point of water will be over 100C.

I don't have the figures to hand, but my Morgan is considered OK up to 110C with a 15PSI radiator cap.

After a Google, I have found the figures, Engineering Toobox, which suggests that all Morgan temperature gauges over-read!

Bit confused with that table, would have thought boiling point would be more than 101 degrees at 15 psi?