200 tdi injection pump reconditioning

Just a thought.

After unexplained high running temp and and reduced fuel economy (getting 26/27mpg down from 30-35) am just wondering if injection pump could be at fault (done 165,000 miles).

Have changed head (after a couple of blown gaskets) and also block (after bent con-rod from blown gasket)replaced entire cooling system all made no difference.

Only the turbo and injection pump remain original. Engine pulls fine with only a bit of black smoke when accelerating hard.

Could pump be over fuelling causing poor economy and high running temp? Pump has never been tweaked.

Mark

I would go down the cheapest route first, before spending money on something that might be ok. If the injection pump was faulty, then you may well know it by the feel of the drive/engine response, etc. Basic stuff might well be your problem, such as tappets, slack in the throttle cable, incorrect tyre pressure, handbarke binding, etc, etc..

Les.

As Les says, look at the simple things first. Try a service and new filters.

Do you know the condition of the current injectors - i.e. were they reconned or just secondhand? Is the timing spot on? (simple enough to check). Do you have a temp gauge fitted to the correct sender? - if you have used a discovery sender unit, and the defender gauge, you may find the gauge overreads yet the temp is actually normal. Thats all i can think of for now!

p.s. i have never gotten anywhere near 35mpg from my 200tdi 110 were you realistically getting that? The mpg you quote now sounds normal (along with the description of the truck when accelerating, so i wouldnt expect the FIP to be the problem). However, i realise mpg varies greatly between vhicles according to according to tyres/roof rack/gearing etc........

As Les says, look at the simple things first. Try a service and new filters.

Do you know the condition of the current injectors - i.e. were they reconned or just secondhand? Is the timing spot on? (simple enough to check). Do you have a temp gauge fitted to the correct sender? - if you have used a discovery sender unit, and the defender gauge, you may find the gauge overreads yet the temp is actually normal. Thats all i can think of for now!

p.s. i have never gotten anywhere near 35mpg from my 200tdi 110 were you realistically getting that? The mpg you quote now sounds normal (along with the description of the truck when accelerating, so i wouldnt expect the FIP to be the problem). However, i realise mpg varies greatly between vhicles according to according to tyres/roof rack/gearing etc........

I must admit 35 mpg was the best I've ever got (on a steady trip to norfolk and back driving very carefully) but it used to regularly achieve 30-32 providing I didn't thrash it. Now I can't get anywhere near 30. Tyres are now 265 BFG AT's though, probably not as economical as the more road biased 235 General Grabbers

The current gauge (digital) is using the sender it came with have. I also have the original gauge and a new britpart one which both read hot (over half way not far from red). I've tried a new sender for them as well.

As Les says the handbrakes worth a look but surely it would become hot and smell if binding?

Theres definately a problem somewhere as a few years ago I went over the Pyrenees no problem with the standard gauge hardly rising at all which surely a well maintained landy should be capable of.

To make things worse the oil pressure light came on yesterday, am hoping this is a wiring issue!

Cheers for your replies will get to the bottom of this eventually.

Mark

If your 32mpg was on other, road biased tyres, i would think an ~4mpg loss could be quite normal for changing to ATs. What temp is your digital gauge actually reading?

In my experience, handbrakes often knock as you are coasting to a stop if they are binding slightly. However, the mechanisms often jam up and could do with greasing and adjusting more regularly than most of us do!

If your 32mpg was on other, road biased tyres, i would think an ~4mpg loss could be quite normal for changing to ATs. What temp is your digital gauge actually reading?

In my experience, handbrakes often knock as you are coasting to a stop if they are binding slightly. However, the mechanisms often jam up and could do with greasing and adjusting more regularly than most of us do!

Yeah I've been on all terrains for about 3-4 years and certainly haven't achieved 35mpg since but its only in the last 6 months that I've noticed poor economy.

Digital gauge reads between 80-83 normally but has got up to 90 (with heater on full) during mountain climbs before I chickened out and pulled over to let it cool. Thing is I don't really trust it as standard gauge is reading hot.

Just wondering really if FIP could cause poor economy or the engine to run hot.

Will check handbrake when I get chance.

Mark

I was getting 30mpg out of my 200Tdi 90 regularly last autumn, then when the snow hit in December it dropped to 24mpg (fair enough, 15" of snow will do that) but strangely enough afterwards it wouldn't get above about 28mpg. Then for the last tank I decided to drive 'with fuel economy in mind' (i.e. smoothly, less braking, less throttle etc.) and it shot up to 31mpg.

I believe it's more to do with your right foot than anything mechanical in the vehicle. If you're 100% sure you're not driving in a different way though then fair enough :)

My 110 (also a 200Tdi) did 25mpg pretty reliably, loaded up or not. It was riding on 265/75/R16 BFG ATs. It also seemed faster than my 90 is, so I suspect the fuel pump might have been tweaked with. But I won't know for sure until it's back on the road.

80-83 sounds fairly normal to me. Someone else will have to confirm, but I'm not sure there is anything to worry about.

Is your fan fitted and working properly? My viscous fan is fitted, but not working so mine has a tendency to get hot in traffic in the summer- tried to change it yesterday, but couldn't get the old one undone!!!

80-83 sounds fairly normal to me. Someone else will have to confirm, but I'm not sure there is anything to worry about.

Is your fan fitted and working properly? My viscous fan is fitted, but not working so mine has a tendency to get hot in traffic in the summer- tried to change it yesterday, but couldn't get the old one undone!!!

Yes I have a new viscous fan fitted but I ought to test it to make sure its definately working. Temp was getting up to 86-87 when in traffic even with heater on. I wouldn't be worried about these temps either but when I put the original gauge back in it puts the temp virtually in the red. This makes me worried about the accuracy of the digital gauge.

For the first 7 years that I owned the vehicle the original gauge sat at the 11 o'clock position and never moved. When it did go higher is also when I've started having head gasket problems.

Will aim to test the the two gauges in a pan of boiling water tonight and see what happens.

Will keep you posted.

Mark