Ross 'does a Nige'

Well I feel i sort of did a Nige today... a silly sounding injury! only not caused by a sneeze :P

A humongous chunk of wood right under my nail.

Trip to A&E to remove, it rather hurts :blink:

Take one finger with 'splinter'

12032011459.jpg

Take one trip to A&E with 5 injections, scalpel, and some lovely engineered scissor/plier thingies:

12032011462.jpg

The offending chunk...

12032011463-1.jpg

As you can see above, nothing was sticking out :blink: and my nail is only 1cm long...

I've searched for www.arewerelated.com but to no avail :P

:rofl:

Made me wince, maybe we should have a second banner under supporting member that

says " LR4x4 A&E Approved Plank-Member" authorised via vile pics :)

I recomend Iodine + Dip affected part + holding of breath + Muffled squeal :)

Nige

Must be the week for silly accidents I knelt on a bit of metal I had just ground off with the angle grinder, stuck to my nylon trackies and glued itself to my leg for a second or two, result below, it has gotten a bit worst as the burn really came out but on the mend now, not as painful as that finger looked though :-o

197377_10150413018710154_507350153_17858582_1555483_n.jpg

Ross, you muppet! Yes, I can feel your pain.

However I don't really think you can call this 'doing a Nige'.

1. You went to A&E, very good idea that, well done.

I bet your mum would've nagged you to go even if your doctor friend hadn't been there :P

2. You haven't got a life threatening infection, hopefully you won't get one, but it's early days yet I suppose.

Keep us informed of progress, I mean more gory pitures :lol:

Still, at least you had the savvy to go straight to A&E and not try to remove said splinter with an array of kitchen utensils and the wife's make-up accessories :lol:

Oi :angry:

Since then I have "Invested" in proper surgical DIY kit :)

There is a whole new level of sharp with a scalpel vs a stanley knife / chefs knife

and the tweezers have serated lines so they grip really well

post-22-0-86311800-1300303941_thumb.jpg

And the knife even has a depth guage :ph34r:

Nige

As i have found with any injuries to hands the knuckles are most prone to damage as that bugger of a nut lets go, as man medicine goes and i think you will agree this is the best format for medication?

1. injury occurs

2. some swearing may follow?

3. the hand that is damaged is securely placed between your legs, just below the testicles and you tighten your thighs to ease the pain

4. a tribal like jump/bounce/dance is performed whilst the hand is firmly in place with afore mentioned soft bits whilst a kind of speech, mmmmmmfuuuuuuuuuaaaahhhhhh may emit from the vocal cords

5. your mates have a look and call you a knob

6. 1 fag later, back to work, only to continually hit the injured part excactly in the most painful bit

7. have some beer

8. day two after the injury, it will be ok or amputation is always an option???????????

hope u feel better?

Paul

You missed out the line about fetching the roll of insulating tape from the tool box, wrapping it around said shredded didgit to stop the bleeding and then carrying on with the work.

Also isnt it amazing how well blood removes grease from your hands???

Jon

As i have found with any injuries to hands the knuckles are most prone to damage as that bugger of a nut lets go, as man medicine goes and i think you will agree this is the best format for medication?

1. injury occurs

2. some swearing may follow?

3. the hand that is damaged is securely placed between your legs, just below the testicles and you tighten your thighs to ease the pain

4. a tribal like jump/bounce/dance is performed whilst the hand is firmly in place with afore mentioned soft bits whilst a kind of speech, mmmmmmfuuuuuuuuuaaaahhhhhh may emit from the vocal cords

5. your mates have a look and call you a knob

6. 1 fag later, back to work, only to continually hit the injured part excactly in the most painful bit

7. have some beer

8. day two after the injury, it will be ok or amputation is always an option?????????

I had one very nearly in this order.

1. Hold wood at awkward angle and saw with brand new very sharp saw. Saw slips and slices index finger!

2. Swear/curse/jump around

3. shove bleeding hand in opposite armpit

4. finish job one handed

5. being new to the area, I don't know where the hospital is. So decide to wait for wife and (local) friend to come home before getting it professionally looked at.

6. Conclude washing the cut would be a good idea.

7. Wash cut under very cold running tap.

8. Sit down (on kitchen floor) before I fall down as the cold water and renewed blood has made me feel a bit faint.

9. About 4 hours after original injury wife comes home, so I now know where hospital is.

10. Visit very friendly and quiet local hospital

11. The cut is big and deep, but at an angle such that it is only just under the skin, so the edges are too thin for stitches.

12. sent away with steristrips holding it together

13. 5 days later with no healing (with work colleague - ex community nurse) decide it will not heal as it is so has to be left open so it can heal from the bottom out.

14. 7 years later still have an inch long zigzag scar on finger!

Nearly losing an eye to a bungee cord is somewhere on the forum already!

Dangerous bloody things. I still use them, just a bit more thoughtfully.

Oooh! Thanks for the stark warning, I sue bungee cords very often but never really considered the dangers!

Hmm. Cannot find the original...so here is the abreviated version.

It was a good quality bungee, lots of stretch and lots of stored energy.

It's not an uncommon injury. You tend to pull directly towards yourself, often at chest/head height.

Stupidly, I was using it to lift/support something. The "other" end slipped off it's attachment (roofrack!).

These things move at something like 90mph when let loose.

I managed to turn my head a fraction, but the metal twirly bit wrapped around the cord smacked me in the side of the eye, followed through and broke my nose. Damn near put me on the floor.

Walk back to the house holding face together (well that's what it felt like at the time) in dark and unable to see much, kick front door (cannot knock with hand) tell wife "best call me an ambulance".

Assesed by crew, asked if I was "athletic" as my heatbeat was so controlled considering. Trip to (same) local and nice hospital, cleaned up glued together and told how lucky I had been. The hooky bit tore my lower lid just below the eyelashes. In the lashes would have been a visit to the plastic surgeon, a touch higher and a seriously damaged eye.

Took six months for eyesight to get back near normal as the impact was so hard it changed the shape of my eye.

I still use them, in fact I still use the same one!

Aside from been more careful with bungees I am now a lot more thoughtful about jobs where something could get in your eye.

I will not pick up grinder/strimmer/chainsaw etc without finding eye protection first.