110 200 tdi running a bit warm

hi can somone help me ive bought a 1991 110hicap 200tdi.when i got it home i realized it didnt have a fan on it and on further inspection it didnt have a thermostat. like this it was running at about quarter on the temp gauge

i put a new thermostat in and fitted my viscous fan off my other 200tdi i was driving for about 20 minutes and the temprature gauge went right up and not far from the red, i had to remove the thermostat again/does anyone know why this is thanks

Thermostats are sometimes removed in order to disguise a more serious problem, such as restricted flow through the cooling system somewhere. I would go for radiator first - check the fins for blockage from mud, or internal blockage from rust or excessive use of things such as Radweld, Bars Leak, etc.

Les.

yep i agree with Les check coolent flow for obstruction and flush it through. also is the water pump any good (is it turning, belt slack, damaged or leaking). might also be worth having your coolent sniffed for head gasket leakage as this will deffo cause it to run hot after replacing thermostat and fan.

Dan

Thermostats are sometimes removed in order to disguise a more serious problem, such as restricted flow through the cooling system somewhere. I would go for radiator first - check the fins for blockage from mud, or internal blockage from rust or excessive use of things such as Radweld, Bars Leak, etc.

Les.

ive allready sniff tested the land rover so its not the head thats gone, i still cant work it out ?

im going to give the radiator flush a go and see than thank anyway

ive allready sniff tested the land rover so its not the head thats gone, i still cant work it out ?

I'd also advise you check the rear of the radiator to make sure the fins aren't rusted away. It's a fairly common problem and gives the kind of symptoms you're experiencing.

HTH

Mark.

I'd also advise you check the rear of the radiator to make sure the fins aren't rusted away. It's a fairly common problem and gives the kind of symptoms you're experiencing.

HTH

Mark.

Have you noticed any pressure in the cooling system when you remove the cap on a cold engine?

Had mine sniff tested and garage reckoned it was fine but I thought something was wrong as there was a large hiss of air when removing the expansion tank cap in morning with engine completely cold.

Head gasket went a few weeks after. Funnily enough I'd just removed the stat to try and keep it cool, probably a bad idea.

Mark

Les.

Agree! only in my case (many years ago) it was a Bedford Midi with head gasket troubles !!

hello sorry for bringing this up again but

ive done the sniff test again and unfortunatly found the test to be positive this time i must have done it right

when i bought it the man said the head gasket had been done recently

but now ive got the cylinder head off and when i was undoing the cylinder head bolts i noticed that the head bolts wernt all the same tightness and covered in copper slip giving me an indication that the head had been done recently but not properly! i thought about phoneing the guy who i got it but never did.

also ive noticed that one of the pistons has a small crack in the hollow bit of the swirl pool at the top would you advise me to change this.i bet he but it back together knowing this??

and finally ive got a new genuine gasket but its a 3 hole one and the one thats on at the moment doesnt have any holes would it be ok to use the 3 hole one? would i lose any compression? or should i measure the piston potrusion

your help would be much appreciated sorry for my punctuation.

hello sorry for bringing this up again but

ive done the sniff test again and unfortunatly found the test to be positive this time i must have done it right

when i bought it the man said the head gasket had been done recently

but now ive got the cylinder head off and when i was undoing the cylinder head bolts i noticed that the head bolts wernt all the same tightness and covered in copper slip giving me an indication that the head had been done recently but not properly! i thought about phoneing the guy who i got it but never did.

also ive noticed that one of the pistons has a small crack in the hollow bit of the swirl pool at the top would you advise me to change this.i bet he but it back together knowing this??

and finally ive got a new genuine gasket but its a 3 hole one and the one thats on at the moment doesnt have any holes would it be ok to use the 3 hole one? would i lose any compression? or should i measure the piston potrusion

your help would be much appreciated sorry for my punctuation.

If it was mine, I'd get the head crack tested and skimmed as well as change the cracked piston. The 3 hole gasket will be fine - you won't notice any lack of compression. Also, I was always taught to fit head bolts "dry", just a drop of lubricant to ensure they don't bind. As they are designed to stretch, I'd fit a new set as well - from memory, they are only supposed to be reused 3 times anyway

Hope this helps,

Matt

If it was mine, I'd get the head crack tested and skimmed as well as change the cracked piston. The 3 hole gasket will be fine - you won't notice any lack of compression. Also, I was always taught to fit head bolts "dry", just a drop of lubricant to ensure they don't bind. As they are designed to stretch, I'd fit a new set as well - from memory, they are only supposed to be reused 3 times anyway

Hope this helps,

Matt

hi still no luck ive replaced the head gasket.and fired her up with thermostat in went for a run and within 20 mins on road i had to bottle it and pull over to take the thermostat out again

so im now running again with no thermostat.

any thoughts please??