Wierd electrical problem

jameslwt

Discovery's (2002 TD5) been running fine all afternoon. Then we stop for coffee, and lock car with key as dog in back.

Car restarts fine after opening with fob. Then part way through the journey I noticed the cruise control would not switch on. I checked other bits, and lots of other functions not working also, such as windows, sunroofs, mirrors, wash wipe etc. The radio did work but kept turning itself off every 15 minutes or so. I figured a load of fuses had blown for some reason - as lots of the functions run off the same circuits.

When home I switched off the engine and went to restart it. Nothing. All the lights come on, and all the functions now work again. I'm figuring it's an imobiliser problem, but I can't see why the car started last time. I have tried disconnecting the battery for a while, but no joy. Am currently trying it for longer as I type this. I am also slightly bemused as to why the radio worked but kept turning itself off! (but would come straight back on again)

Anyone got any suggestions (especially as it's blocking our Defender in the driveway so getting to work tomorrow could be interesting!?

Thanks

James

Had a similar scenario a wee while back, but in my BMW.

Driving along, all good, then the radio started to switch off and on, guages on the dash not working etc. You know the picture.

So I pulled up at a garage, and invoked breakdown to get me home.

On putting a battery/alternator test gadget on the car, it told me the alternator was dead.

Swapped out the alternator, all good.

Problem solved with the help of Mr nice AA man. No feed to the starter motor, and eventually we worked out with the help of the AA info centre (didn't show up on the laptop system) that there is an additionnal Maxi fuse before the starter relay, which had blown.

Fuse replaced and car works again, including all the electronics.

Will keep an eye on it, as obviously don't really know why fuse blew in first place. Also slightly bemusing as to why all the other stuff like windows, sunroof and cruise control stopped working. Will require an in depth look at wiring diagrams I feel.

Car now moved in case it doesn't start tomorrow, so I can get to the other one!

Thanks

James

Glad you sorted your problem.

A bit off topic, years ago I had a 24v Scorpio that failed to start on a few occasions. After much checking and swearing I bit the bullet and took it to Ford who said the engine ECU was shot. Two days later when they went to fit a new ECU the real problem was found. A small colony of ants had set up home in there and every now and again they would short the ECU and cause the car not to start. A quick bit if hoovering and the problem was gone.

Happened again this evening so had AA out again - bet they love me.

Anyway now have a diagnosis of dead starter motor, so into the garage tomorrow. Am sure I could have eventually tracked this down, but a) it was dark, b) it was cold and c) it would have required crawling under the car on the ground!

Am very happy with the AA though. :D

Still not sure how it affected the other electrickery bits though :unsure: