Hindhead lanes

DrRob

When the new tunnel opens they will be re-landscaping the old A3 through the Devils Punch Bowl.

Anybody know what will happen to the BOATS that connect to it?

It is my understanding that the "Old Portsmouth Road" will be TRO'd but all others will remain open for us

OP Road has already been hard surfaced....

Anybody spoken to Surrey CC about it? ;)

http://www.highways.gov.uk/roads/documents/61_nts_may2004.pdf

This shows it quite well. The ones up near Thursley will be retained, and a small new route created to link them up where they would have reached the old A3.

The (paved) one that runs parallel to the A3 will be removed (no worries there from me), but the 'interesting' one that goes down to Boundless Road at the bottom of the valley will be retained. This will be accessed via the byway from Shottermill way, the route from the A3 lights opposite the cafe will be closed off.

Overall I think it's a pretty good solution. Keeps the interesting lanes open, anyhow :)

Excellent news! Someone is making some proper decisions on this for all to enjoy the area regardless of mode of transport (foot, bike, horse, 4x4)... :)

The "interesting one" (which I call Gibbet Hill) was very rutted last time I walked it - is that still the case? Not good for "shinies" :P

I believe "The Steps" have been levelled too? :blink:

Cheers for the info.... :)

Excellent news! Someone is making some proper decisions on this for all to enjoy the area regardless of mode of transport (foot, bike, horse, 4x4)... :)

The "interesting one" (which I call Gibbet Hill) was very rutted last time I walked it - is that still the case? Not good for "shinies" :P

I believe "The Steps" have been levelled too? :blink:

Cheers for the info.... :)

the byway you call Gibbet Hill has a TRO on it for 6 months for repairs and the steps are now so flat you could drive that lane in a mini

The steps have been flattened for a year or two now yes.

Good to hear that Gibbet Hill has been TROd, it was getting very bad half-way down, with alternate routes being forced due to vehicles not being able to traverse the main one. Mainly due to washouts owing to the steep nature of the lane, but the repeated use hasn't helped.

Last time I went down it (last summer) I took the original route and spent half an hour digging the front bumper out of the ground, all rather than leave the byway! :lol:

I filled the hole back in afterwards though :ph34r:

Despite the above, I cannot find it on the Surrey CC list of active TROs:

http://www.surreycc.gov.uk/sccwebsite/sccwspages.nsf/LookupWebPagesByTITLE_RTF/Rights+of+Way+Public+Notices?opendocument#top

It's Byway 503, in Thursley CP. Not on the list.

Perhaps mudmagnet has seen a sign up there recently...?

I might wander up there in a few weeks tim for a gander...

HighButton is now TRO'd which was a fab lane, steps were graded - IMHO Damaged years of history were lost

under tons of infill, except now the water running down tha lane is recutting it back to as it was but

is beginning to be a real mess from repairs being washed away

I have heard that all lanes around hindhead will be TRO'd when Tunnel opens on H&S grounds (A new one) lets hope not

Hey ho, stamp collecting as next hobby anyone ?

Nige

Perhaps mudmagnet has seen a sign up there recently...?

I might wander up there in a few weeks tim for a gander...

according to our clubs ROW officer the lane has a 6 month TRO on it

i dont know when it started though

THURSLEY - High Button lane (Thursley 503); Has a 6 month temporary TRO in place restricting width to 1500mm in order to prevent further damage. this will be ongoing and regularly reviewed.

but it looks now like they arnt going to repair it just restrict use of the lane

according to our clubs ROW officer the lane has a 6 month TRO on it

i dont know when it started though

THURSLEY - High Button lane (Thursley 503); Has a 6 month temporary TRO in place restricting width to 1500mm in order to prevent further damage. this will be ongoing and regularly reviewed.

but it looks now like they arnt going to repair it just restrict use of the lane

Thanks for the update....Might be round that way March 27th...

Whether they restrict the use of the lane or not, they are still obligated to maintain a right of way.

Temporary TROs have a nasty habbit of being reviewed and reviewed until they can get it made permanent :angry:

• 1 month later...

Im amazed no one has noticed, but all the recent TRO's requested by Surrey, including those they managed to get through, are for 4 wheels only, NOT bikes.

Surrey has worked out a new method of attack in its anti vehicle war, and thats to split the camp. Firstly remove four wheeled users, then later on when there are no four wheeled users left, ban the two wheeled users. Stopping bikes is much harder than vehicles, Surrey has to leave access gaps for horses and biccyles, so motorcycles cant really be restricted easily.

It should be pointed out that this will make little if any difference to illegal users and those who abuse our ancient rights of way.

• 3 months later...

"The Temporary Closure will be extended, as the repair works will be substantial.

Officers will be taking a report to Waverley Local Committee to recommend that a ‘Notice of Intention’ to make a permanent Traffic Regulation Order be issued. The Byway has suffered from intense use, and as such the surface has been badly degraded. The banks and adjacent land have been severely damaged by irresponsible use. Due to the location of the byway and the lack of police resources, policing the byway is not really an option.

Repairs will be made to the byway in the coming 12 months when resources are available.

Kind regards,"

I confess to knowing absolutely nothing about BOATs and the legalities of their maintenance.

However I'm sure I have read of people in other parts of the country being involved in working parties undertaking repairs to them. Does that happen in this part of the world? Or am I mistaken and they were repairing other types of lanes, there may be some sort of liability issues as they are officially roads.

Just a thought that it may make the council less inclined to stop 4x4's if they were helping to maintain them, the cost of commercial repairs is no doubt astronomical.

Anyway I await the toasting by the flame throwers now .....

The kind of work parties you mention used to happen, and having been on some I can tell you they were good social activities and achieved worthwhile results; but nowadays these things rarely happen. The bodies (councils) concerned like to hide behind health and safety excuses for not permitting voluntary work.

It's a shame really as volunteer labour could save them so much money.

Now while councils are obliged to maintain byways, they would prefer not to; and I suspect their long term goal is to TRO everything they can and hope the problem goes away.

A cynical view you may think, but probably more true than most would realise.

I can quite believe your cynical viewpoint to be the more accurate :( I imagine with all the cuts maintaining BOATs is very low on their list of priorities.....

I think there is little for them to justify them not accepting working parties on the grounds of Health and Safety when volunteer work gets used for lots of things including woodland maintenance and lots of other schemes. That's not to say I don't believe they are using that excuse :( It is far easier to sign a contract with contractors than to go to the effort of organising free labour.

I'd quite like to take part in a working party reconstructing BOATs, sounds like it would be a good laugh (in the good weather of course!)

Some authorities are more anti than others, Surrey is one of the more anti-laning ones, so such things are unlikely! :(

At the end of the day I'd give it maybe 5 - 10 years tops before all the lanes are shut, and there is F A we can do about it. So use them while you can!

Some authorities are more anti than others, Surrey is one of the more anti-laning ones, so such things are unlikely! :(

At the end of the day I'd give it maybe 5 - 10 years tops before all the lanes are shut, and there is F A we can do about it. So use them while you can!

Unfortunately I only seem to find out about them when they shut them :(

The kind of work parties you mention used to happen, and having been on some I can tell you they were good social activities and achieved worthwhile results; but nowadays these things rarely happen. The bodies (councils) concerned like to hide behind health and safety excuses for not permitting voluntary work.

It's a shame really as volunteer labour could save them so much money.

Now while councils are obliged to maintain byways, they would prefer not to; and I suspect their long term goal is to TRO everything they can and hope the problem goes away.

A cynical view you may think, but probably more true than most would realise.

Write to David Cameron and complain that you are being discouraged from contributing to his Big Society due to the lack of interest from Councils to effect repairs etc, with volunteer labour.

Or write to the newspapers with the same complaint.

John