NATO Hitches and HD Disco Bumpers

Mine clears it, but not by much. I suspect it wouldn''t have done had I not changed and adjusted the door hinges a couple of months before hand. My bumper is the Britpart one incidentally, and contrary to my fears, it's actually pretty well made. The apertures for the lights were a little tight, and the holes for the mount to the original bumper mount points were something silly like 16mm, so mega sloppy, but I'm quite pleased with it.

As others have said though, swivel the hitch and it'll be plenty clear.

Kevin

Yes, you can, however, you'll also do well to re-enforce the 2-3mm thick bit of bumper bracket sticking out of the chassis that you're bolting it to...

The majority of the force through the NATO hitch / swivel is transferred through 4x M12 bolts into a bracket wrapped round the rear chassis cross member, and via 2x M12 (in double shear) through the chassis itself, as per the tow bar bracket. The two bolts at the end really serve as to keep it on straight, and take some of the force when you use a hi-lift, for example.

Kevin

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, you can, however, you'll also do well to re-enforce the 2-3mm thick bit of bumper bracket sticking out of the chassis that you're bolting it to...

The majority of the force through the NATO hitch / swivel is transferred through 4x M12 bolts into a bracket wrapped round the rear chassis cross member, and via 2x M12 (in double shear) through the chassis itself, as per the tow bar bracket. The two bolts at the end really serve as to keep it on straight, and take some of the force when you use a hi-lift, for example.

Kevin

that bumper also makes your disco illegal and a mot fail you will need some stick on red reflectors and that certain co should supply them ??

all good fun

Yep, totally agree. There's even a nice flat area where they could have done this.

At the very least, I think they should have provided fitting instructions with it, but I was able to sus it out all by myself :rolleyes: These fitting instructions could have then mentioned that you would be required to source reflectors etc..

Fortunately I had picked up a good handful at the Great Dorset Steam Fair last year in anticipation of this need, @ 50p each.

Kev

Well, specifically a motor vehicle needs two (or more) rear facing red retro reflectors. Since the disco has these on the rear bumper as standard, removing said bumper will also remove said reflectors, hence the need to add two more (somewhere) to keep Mr Plod happy.

Kev

Mine (300tdi) doesn't have reflectors in the light clusters, in fact I don't recall seeing any series I disco with them there - got a picture? Disco series IIs have them in the light cluster...

Kevin

This is what I've got. The 'additional' reflectors being fitted on the bodywork still, from before the HD bumper was fitted but after I lost the plastic end caps....

I can see why an MOT man would fail the reflectors if there are supposed to be some in that light cluster!

Kev

5558816463_71b0208875.jpg

IMAG0048 by MrKev, on Flickr

5558812593_63a6e15668.jpg

IMAG0051 by MrKev, on Flickr

I can see why an MOT man would fail the reflectors if there are supposed to be some in that light cluster!

Nonetheless I spoke to one of the testers at our local indie and he assured me that the reflectors in the light cluster are all that is required for the MoT.

Niamh.

well not opening a can of worms but

if D1 had reflectors in the light clusters why did landrover fit them on the bumper end caps as well as far as know there are no reflectors fitted in D1 light clusters and if i tested it it would fail as having none :rolleyes:

Don't you trust the word of an actual qualified tester.

FWIW the company's L200 was in for testing at the time of our conversation and he pointed out that the extra reflectors factory fitted to that weren't necessary either.

Now it may well be that the regulations in other countries require reflectors independent of the rear light cluster...

Niamh

The mot book always seams to put the ball in your court and what he said to me were if in doubt pass and advise

At work I'm a tester n another guy is I'll pass reflectors in the rear lights were as he won't but this is on motorbikes

His argument for this is when the rear lights on you can't see the reflector

My argument is you don't need a reflector as the rear lights on

The mot manual always seams to put it down to your opinion in my eyes