Knocking/thumping sound?

ski33

If I turn sharp slow speed right I hear a thumping sound coming from the rear left of the truck , it seems to be getting worst because it only used to do it now and again but now it happens at slow speed sharp left also.

Any ideas ?

Cheers Richard.

As far as I know there is no sure fire way to tell if the VCU is shot...... Whats the milage of the Freebie, its recomended that VCU's are changed at 70k miles.

But one way to check is to put the steering on full lock and reverse slowly, if the car feels like it is breaking then the VCU is 'probably' shot. Another way to test is to do the above but on gravel, if the rear wheel on the inside of the turn is skidding then that another way to tell. And yet another way is to jack one rear wheel up, get a big socket on the hub nut, 34mm IRC, and a 24" power bar then with the hand brake off try to turn the raised wheel. You should be able to turn the wheel and feel a fair bit of resistance, there are quite a few videos of this test on youtube have a look there.

I have just replaced the VCU and diff bushes on mine due to it feeling like it was braking while reversing and knocking from the back end, much better now.

HTH,

Gary

Thanks again Gary I will test all that when I get a chance. It's an 04 with 56 thou on the clock so hopeing it's just the bushes, priced a kit at 48£ also vcu kit for 109£.

Also another strange noise I have heard recently is a rattle from the front end! I thought it might have been the manifold heat shield becouse it's only at a certain rev range but taken this off and still the same ? Really annoying me though! Anybody come across this before?

• 3 weeks later...

i replaced all diff mounting bushes with gen landrover ones and still the noise when slow speed turning?(old ones seemed fine)

the ird seems fine ,no locking up on turning in reverse on gravel or tarmac .

the only thing i can see is the vcu mounting bushes seem realy worn on top ,will this cause the noise?.

Have you checked where the rear sub frame bolts onto the chassis? The front OS rear sub frame mounting sometimes tears att he chassis if a knackered VCU is used. It requires a bit of welding to the chassis leg if thats the case......

Gaz

checked subframe and all is good .

vcu bearing rubbers are worn bad ,i can see through the top of them and i can push the driveshft with my hand and it makes a thumping noise similar to what im getting so i think its the cause of my problem ,seems simple enough to change and priced at about 37£ .

will do it this week and see how it goes.

Before I removed propshafts I noticed the rear vcu bearing was not fitted 90 deg and on removal of shafts this bearing had severe damage to the rubber . I used a grinder to cut old vcu bearings outers off cut away the rubber and then a few gentle taps with a chisel and it's now ready for the new parts , let's hope it cures it this time .

• 1 month later...

Iseem to have the same problem with my lander 1.8 a terrible clicking noise from the nearside rear i have found that the drive shaft has got a lot of play. I am going to remove the drive shaft to check the CV joints. never done it before as i am a new landy owner so this is going to be a Haynes.. manual job lol hope all goes well and i don't find anything more than a CV that needs replacing, I will also have to invest in a new torque wrench to tighten up the hub nut 250 that's tight hope i get away with just one hours work lol ...any help would be appreciated I am not the worlds best tool slinger so if you have any advice please don't hesitate to tell me what to do thanks,, Tom