needing some help!!!

hi guys,

i've been trying to figure out what's wrong the 110 300tdi. so one day it overheated really badly the water in the expansion tank was boiling. thought it was the head gasket so got it checked the head gasket is fine. it's smoking a lot white smoke and sometimes kind of blue. when the engine is warm it does'nt smoke at all. the heating was a faulty thermostat, i've change all my injectors, new heater plugs. the reason why i change the injectors is because when i loose the number 3 injector the smoke stop. so change all of them. now with the new one in it still smoke but with the addition of a knocking noise which seem to be underneath the rocker and if i loosen the same injector again the noise stop together with the smoke. The other thing i've notice is when i loosen the the injector pipe the diesel coming out seem to be mixed with air as it was very foamy. the other ones does'nt do that! so could it be the cylinder or a valve issue or even faulty injector pump or advance timing :unsure:

thanks for any help

thierry

If I loosen the injector in question the noise stop. Does it make any sense! I'm going to check the clearence and see if the cap still here. I've remove the rocker cover yesterday and notice a slight discolouratuon of the push rod. I wonder if that ring a bell?

It sounds like a small end bearing, or piston knock if it stops with no injection , as lack of comp wont affect tappets. The over heating may have caued damage to no 3 , the smoking is also a sign of lack of compression, or burning oil due to rings/piston damaged.

If I loosen the injector in question the noise stop. Does it make any sense! I'm going to check the clearence and see if the cap still here. I've remove the rocker cover yesterday and notice a slight discolouratuon of the push rod. I wonder if that ring a bell?

Try what Les says...

Because you have loosened the injector the cylinder no longer has any compression I once took a head off because one of those caps had broken. Well I found the problem but reconed the head bolts were the only things left.