Loss of power while driving

stretch121

AAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHHHH

Hi, any one have any ideas as to what could be wrong?

I thing starter motor or alternator may have gone but not sure.

Was just driving down the road 30mph when loss of power, pulled over into bus stop as safest place and turned of car for few mins, tried again waited for coil lights to go out turn ignition it tried but failed went all quiet for a second or two then into a high pitched rapid clicking sound that iv had before on anither motor just cant figure out if alternator / starter motor.

Any help appreciated guys.

And gals.

Alternator not charging. The clicking is a dead battery. You need a multimeter to check battery voltage should be 12.6-12.8 if it has been sitting overnight, you will probably find about 11.5V if you are lucky and if you jump start it and the voltage doesn't rise fairly swiftly to over 14V and stay there, then it isn't charging.

What sort of Discovery is it (I'm assuming it is in fact a Discovery since the question is in the Discovery forum :) )

Alternator not charging. The clicking is a dead battery. You need a multimeter to check battery voltage should be 12.6-12.8 if it has been sitting overnight, you will probably find about 11.5V if you are lucky and if you jump start it and the voltage doesn't rise fairly swiftly to over 14V and stay there, then it isn't charging.

What sort of Discovery is it (I'm assuming it is in fact a Discovery since the question is in the Discovery forum :) )

oh yeah its a 2000 plate disco 2 not been sat for long at all

Bogmonster you Were spot on mate, knackered battery........so bought a new one yesterday for £140 nicely done i thought, until today when pulled up at the lights, went to move off and no power yet again........seems its more likely to be the fuel pump or combination of both so its in the garage and waiting till monday to find out.....that will be another £180 down the swanny.

Any ideas where i can get a new one without breaking the bank i hear they are somewhat unreliable on Disco 2 td5 so not gonna be a second hand one.

Cheers in advance guys.

yeah thats what i would have thought too but with the other noises and from what others have said ( 3 peeps saying the same thing ) leads to thinking its the fuel pump, any how its in the garage now so will just have to wait it out i guesse