Discovery 1 Timing Belt

Marten

I am about halfway through a complete rebuild/refurbishment of my 1992 Disco 1 and am presently re-assembling the 200Tdi engine after total strip. Now fitting the new timing belt, with new tensioner & static roller, a job I have already done several times over the life of the vehicle without difficulty. The new belt, tensioner and roller are "straight out of the box & correctly numbered" but the belt appears to be too small. With timing correct, good tooth engagement and no slack between the toothed pullys, I can fit the tensioner on its pivot pin and insert the threaded bolt only by stretching the belt excessively! Once on, the belt looks fine and I can rotate the engine easily (head still off!), but the belt tension already exceeds the specified torque reading before the tensioner is adjusted. Has anyone experienced this problem with a new belt?

I am about halfway through a complete rebuild/refurbishment of my 1992 Disco 1 and am presently re-assembling the 200Tdi engine after total strip. Now fitting the new timing belt, with new tensioner & static roller, a job I have already done several times over the life of the vehicle without difficulty. The new belt, tensioner and roller are "straight out of the box & correctly numbered" but the belt appears to be too small. With timing correct, good tooth engagement and no slack between the toothed pullys, I can fit the tensioner on its pivot pin and insert the threaded bolt only by stretching the belt excessively! Once on, the belt looks fine and I can rotate the engine easily (head still off!), but the belt tension already exceeds the specified torque reading before the tensioner is adjusted. Has anyone experienced this problem with a new belt?

Sorry to insult but have you slackened off the three bolts in the injection pump pully to get the slack on the right side of the belt?

That said, I've had a few that have been very tight to fit but usually after about 10 or so rotations and a retension they are ok.

Sorry to insult but have you slackened off the three bolts in the injection pump pully to get the slack on the right side of the belt?

That said, I've had a few that have been very tight to fit but usually after about 10 or so rotations and a retension they are ok.

No offence taken! A perfectly reasonable suggestion. I left the belt in place overnight and rotated the engine a couple of dozen times (oil pump is now well primed!) this morning, going through the injector timing routine several times just to be sure, as you suggest. I now start to get tensioner movement at 20nm so I can't be far off the 17mn target with no additional torque applied! Best I'll get with this belt, which is certainly on the small side compared with previous examples. Wierd! Many thanks for responding.