Which Plasma Cutter?

trendkill

Looking to buy a Plasma Cutter soon. Needs to cut upto 10mm minimum.

Don't know a great deal about them, what sort of price am I looking for a half decent one?

Any advice would be grand.

Cheers!

My advise buy once buy right.

Hypertherm, lincoln, thermal-dynamics. Are, in that order about the only ones you should be looking at.

I have a hypertherm powermax 350(35a) it will cut 10mm if you cut slowly. it is far happier and quicker up to 6mm though, hypertherm tips and spares (if you ever need them) are available everywhere as well.

I used to have a cheap chinese butters-amt it was also good but very fragile cost me a lot of money in repairs also the tips were hard to get hold of.

this is mine,

IMGP0973.jpg

Dont write off the cheap chinese units...

I got fed up with lots of dust and having black snot for days after i bodged fabricated some thing.

So really had a good look a round, the only way i could afford to have a grown up cutter was to buy second hand.

So started looking at the chinese stuff...

in the end i got a "giant cut 40" and this has a PT31 torch (cost around £200 quid). The parts of this cutter are used in lots of these "cheap" machines and so very available, the torch also has lots of places that sell the consumables.

the cut 40 will do 10mm slowly, 8 and 6mm fine.

cons of this type of cutter.....

well its touch start so this does reduce the life of your consumables a bit (but keep the tips clean and the air dry helps extend the life of them a lot).

the build quality not great (but better then i expected).

oh and dont expect to understand the manual :lol:

Paul

I agree with moose. I too have a cut 40 that i bought for £200. Its fine for the occasional uses that i have for it.

The manual?? - oh thats what that was then! :lol:

On the mig welding forums (http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34), I came across this website:

http://www.cut40.com/secure/

They seem to have been banned from the mig forum as i think they were perceived as spamming their business via the forum - i thought offering a repair service was fair enough for folk with machines that had broken..... (i have nothing to do with them and have never used them by the way!)....... Anyway, more importantly, they had instructions for the Cut40 in English here:

http://www.cut40.com/kb/index.php/article/available-product-documentation

Thanks for your help!

I agree with the 'buy once, buy right' philosophy. Figure there is no way im spending over £500 on one though!

Nige- Quite like the look of 'Sureweld' stuff. Have you had any problems with your Plasmatec 31?

Whats anyone's thoughts on this? Bought my portamig from this company last year.

Cheers,

Bob

Whats anyone's thoughts on this? Bought my portamig from this company last year.

looks OK

But no info on its arc start type? HF or touch so i guess its touch.

also no info on the torch type so consumables might be harder to find....

Thanks for your help!

I agree with the 'buy once, buy right' philosophy. Figure there is no way im spending over £500 on one though!

Nige- Quite like the look of 'Sureweld' stuff. Have you had any problems with your Plasmatec 31?

Cheers,

Bob

Bob

Mines a 41, quite some years old now and no probs at all :)

Nige