classic door lock problem

kyotekid

Hi, I have a 1989 Vogue SE classic, and I cannot lock my O/S/F door using the key, and cannot see what should be happening with the levers and rods on the lock mechanism inside the door, they all appear to be moving OK, but don't want to lock the door, thus also not activating the central locking

Does anyone know what can be at fault, and tell me the cure please, Thanks

Hi, I have a 1989 Vogue SE classic, and I cannot lock my O/S/F door using the key, and cannot see what should be happening with the levers and rods on the lock mechanism inside the door, they all appear to be moving OK, but don't want to lock the door, thus also not activating the central locking

Does anyone know what can be at fault, and tell me the cure please, Thanks

From your question can we assume you can lock it using the remote?

Is it possible that the door or the part on the centre pillar are are out of alignment or worn?

Has the door dropped a little on the hinges?

Have you tried removing the inside door panel and using some spray lubricant on the mechanism, also cleaning up and tightening any of the electrical connections.

For the lubricant I would use something that wont dry out such as one of the lanolin based sprays on the market.

At least with the door panel removed you might be able to see what is happening.

Good luck....hope this helps.

From your question can we assume you can lock it using the remote?

Is it possible that the door or the part on the centre pillar are are out of alignment or worn?

Has the door dropped a little on the hinges?

Have you tried removing the inside door panel and using some spray lubricant on the mechanism, also cleaning up and tightening any of the electrical connections.

For the lubricant I would use something that wont dry out such as one of the lanolin based sprays on the market.

At least with the door panel removed you might be able to see what is happening.

I cannot lock it using a remote, as it don't have one!!!,(with the door closed and it seems to be square in the opening, and no drop on the hinge), when I turn the key all that happens is the key turns 90 degree either left or right without doing anything to the lock mechanism, but with the door fully closed, from the passengers side I can reach across and push the door plunger down, and this then locks the central locking on all closed doors, and I can then lock the passengers door using a key from the outside, but this will not operate the central locking from this door ???????

It appears that something has become detached that would do the 'Manual' pull down of the plunger when the key is turned in the lock....just a guess but I suspect that if you remove the door lining and get a small mirror so you can see what happens it will be a big help and if you get one of the extendible probes with the magnet on the end you will possibly be able to retrieve any 'bits' that have dropped to the bottom of the door.

NOTE: I have one of these probes and the magnet is very strong from memory it can lift 2kgs and it's a bit of a pain when trying to get into a tight spot to pick up a bolt/nut you dropped because it keeps sticking to everything else - One with a less strong magnet might be better.

Right, I have removed the door panel again, and adjusted the solenoid as suggested by a mate, but to no avail. I can see that all the rods move when the lock barrel is turned, but nothing else seems to happen to the actual mechanism

532e5919.jpg

I reckon it is rod No.6 on this diagram that is not working properly(private lock control rod), but i cannot see what it attaches to as it is behind the window channel, and without removing the doorframe top, i cannot see this item

Having checked the opposite door, it seems as if the control rods, and their linkages are worn, so not allowing the lock to operate correctly, so I will need to find some replacments. Any suggestions where from???

There's a plastic thingy around the lock that operates the lock rod. They become brittle and bust so start with that.

I did wonder if that could be changed, as it is very loose on the end of the barrel, not a very positive action.