lt77 output shaft wear

have been tracing down a clunk, was hoping it would be a cheap bush or something but couldnt find anything obvious so I pulled off the pto cover to take a look thinking the transfer box input gear would come off but it didnt so couldnt see the splines on the gearbox output shaft. made a video of the play, i'm pretty sure its excessive but looking for confirmation

video here its not great quality but you can see whats going on while I rotate the handbrake drum back and forth

You should be able to remove the input gear by rocking the handbrake drum and manipulate the gear off as you do so. If the splines are worn (and they do look a bit buggered :) ), then removal of the gear is more difficult for the simple reason that the outer section of the shaft is undamaged, so there's a step in each of the splines. The rusty-coloured bits that you can see in the centre of the input gear is the particles of metal that come off and mix with a small amount of oil are an indicator of spline/gear wear.

Les.

I cant remember how wide the spline are when new, but whilst those splines look partly worn, you might get away with replacing the input gear to remove some of the play at this stage. The splines on one of my old boxes were sharp points about 1mm across and that still drove (although i think it would have given up soon if driven for much longer!)

If you do replace the input gear, make sure to get a cross drilled one.

You've pretty-much {u}got{/u} to remove it, although removing the transfer box might also work (it should fall off then). If a step in the splines is preventing the gear from coming off, then it may also prevent the transfer box from being removed.

Les.

lol yes, took a lot of wobbling but it came off in the end. the input gears teeth are pretty worn with a lip at one end think thats what was making it hard to get off. definately need an input gear cant see the output shaft very well in the dark under there but I presume they are just as bad.