VDO Tachometer Installation

Troll Hunter

Can somebody who has done this before please advise me? I've a VDO tacho, but no installation instructions. I believe that a signal can be taken from the alternator output. I've a standard 300 Tdi and alternator, but where do I take a signal from, please?

post-1947-0-36796100-1300393524_thumb.jpg

At the tacho, there are three connections, apart from the light connections. These are marked: 2, + and -. (The location 1 does not have a connector fitted to it.) I'm assuming that live and earth are connected to the + and -, but what goes to 2? Is it a direct feed from the alternator, or should there be something between the alternator and tachometer, e.g. a resistance?

Also, staying with the tacho, there are three small switches recessed in the body. What are they for, and what positions should they be set to, please?

post-1947-0-47827400-1300394066_thumb.jpg

Many thanks, in advance, for any help with these.

Mike

connect Tacho terminal marked '2' to the 'W' terminal on Alternator

connect a ignition controlled 12volt feed to tacho terminal marked + [positve]

connect tacho terminal marked - [negative] to earth

tacho light to existing guage lighting

set the 3 slide swithes [outers] up & centre down. this should give to a idle reading of 750 to 800rpm & max revs [vehicle stationary out of gear] of 3850 to 4000rpm.

if you do a search for 'rev counter' there's lots of top info about fitting/connecting & photo's.

connect Tacho terminal marked '2' to the 'W' terminal on Alternator

connect a ignition controlled 12volt feed to tacho terminal marked + [positve]

connect tacho terminal marked - [negative] to earth

tacho light to existing guage lighting

set the 3 slide swithes [outers] up & centre down. this should give to a idle reading of 750 to 800rpm & max revs [vehicle stationary out of gear] of 3850 to 4000rpm.

if you do a search for 'rev counter' there's lots of top info about fitting/connecting & photo's.

Many thanks for your reply, Western. However, referring to the photo of the back of my alternator, in my original post, which is the W terminal, please?

Having searched, I've found the following, which you posted in december 2010 in response to a V8 alternator query:

Posted 04 December 2010 - 12:05 PM

your alt. may already have a 'W' terminal under a rubber cover, if not you can fit a feed wire from one of the static windings bolts IIRC.

Is my alternator one of those without a W terminal, and if so, which bolt do you suggest that I take a signal from, please?

Mike

if your Alt doesn't have a external, W connection, Yes you can fit a cable & terminal to any of the AC static windings to make it all work.

see Red90's reply/photo in this these links

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=3026&hl=

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=9408&hl=

http://www.reedx.net/landrover/mods/revcounter/index.htm