Re-spray

Be sitting down,

i looked in jan and for a full respray reckon on £2,000 - 2,500 from fully certified insurance type repair shop, If you can live with the interior bits not done, a blow over if you must, then reckon on at least a grand from a traditional body shop

Be sitting down,

i looked in jan and for a full respray reckon on £2,000 - 2,500 from fully certified insurance type repair shop, If you can live with the interior bits not done, a blow over if you must, then reckon on at least a grand from a traditional body shop

Thanks Brighouse Shed, not a cheap thing then. I'm not too bothered about under the bonnet but I would like the visible interior bits done. I suppose a lot of the work is in taking off all the plastic trim, and windows etc

I'd probably replace a lot of the plastic trim at this point also, its deciding how far you go with it. Maybe in a few years... :D

It depends on a lot:-

The state of the body (any straightening or filling?)

Whether you are changing the colour or not.

The standard that you want - quick tidy up and blow over to flog or an interior stripped screens out proper job!?

I'd definitely want a proper job. As for filler etc, I don't know enough about body repairs to know the best method, and as you know a Defender nearly 20 years old can pick up some interesting injuries. So maybe even replace the worst panels.

It cost me approx £250 from Autocolour in wootton bassett, to have a new door sprayed, this door had nothing in it as i was replacing my knackered drivers door with this new one.

I asked about getting other panels done etc and he said they would be about the same price per panel of a similiar size. I think if i'm going to get it done in the future i'll wait til i have stripped my 90 down and send them away like that.

Hi,

Yep £2100 to £2500 is what I was quoted.

My bro used to spray so decided to do the prepping myself and his skills to do the base coat and laquer.

I have bought all the paint (More than enough) and gun (was gonna buy something fancy but was disuaded by the paint shop) for £350 (Zambesi Silver).

Im guessing i can have a few goes before it reaches the £2500 mark!

Luckily I have a lockup to paint it in, I plan on building a tent inside with polly and a good heater.

Judging by the numbers above (and that wasnt trade) there seems to be plenty of mark up on painting cars these days! ;)

HTH

Cheers

G

i got a quote the other day for painting my 90. the guy said i was looking around 800 thats if i stripped the car down myself then rebuit it after painting (not really an option where i stay) or option 2 was 1200 and i could drive it in then come back and it would all be done for me. or option 3 if i wanted a show level paint job id be looking at 4000 quid. being the car is 26 years old option 3 is right outa the window.

oh yeah and that wasnt even for metalic paint add another 200-300 quid on top. he was my first quote ive a feeling this is going to upset the missus maybe she wont notice :D

i did mine myself when i was rebuilding it.all in it cost about £300 and thats with buying the spray gun.it was cellulose,with no laquer,but came up pretty good.if your thinking of taking it greenlaning then i would'nt spend too much.

just give it a go youself.

I'm just about to paint my Chevy in satin NATO green. I've already got a compressor and gun, the paint materials cost £0 for the primer (free from work) and £70 for the top coat and thinner. That's in single pack Mil spec enammel. Add some filler and consumables and I should still be under £100.

In terms of shop job you should be able to get a 'blow over', that's no filler, no trim removed, no polishing or finishing, for about £600. The other prices above sound pretty realistic, but I would say you can save a HUGE amount by stripping the trim etc off and doing any major filling yourself. I had my Dad's Trimuph sprayed professionally about 2 years ago for £500 to a good presentable standard, but I stripped the car completely before it went to the body shop.

My 110 300tdi double cab is going in for a respray next month. Only having the outside done, plus door shuts etc. Its costing me around £1500 using metalic paint.

Im gradually sripping all the trims etc off myself, then removing the doors, windows & handles when I get to the spray shop. Over the past few months Ive been buying various replacement parts such as door hinges, brunell front grill/headlight surrounds, new rear door etc. When its finished it should look like a completely different vehicle, what with the galv chassis etc it had fitted last year.

The spending never stops does it :rolleyes:

My 110 300tdi double cab is going in for a respray next month. Only having the outside done, plus door shuts etc. Its costing me around £1500 using metalic paint.

Im gradually sripping all the trims etc off myself, then removing the doors, windows & handles when I get to the spray shop. Over the past few months Ive been buying various replacement parts such as door hinges, brunell front grill/headlight surrounds, new rear door etc. When its finished it should look like a completely different vehicle, what with the galv chassis etc it had fitted last year.

The spending never stops does it :rolleyes:

I work on the 'other side' now doing the assessing for insurace companies but think maybe I should start painting again as I have a large workshop with all facilitys mmm thinking mmmm

John

I paid £250 to have a small dent repaired and the door painted on my BMW 5 series, which was worth it only because it sold for a much better price without the dent.

Now it's time to paint the 110 -- £65 for two litres of Marine blue and one litre of white Tekaloid, another £30 or so at B&Q for rollers, brushes, sand paper and drop cloths. I've had my share of nice cars, and no longer want to care about where I park, where I drive, or if I wash it. I just want it all one color -- well, two if you count the top! :P

As much as I really dont want to paint mine I have no choice as the corrosion on the panels are getting really bad.

I have decided that I want a satin/matt finish so that I can keep touching up the bad spots whenever needed.

I iether want nato green or the desert sand colour.

Are there any colour code #s for these colours and a prfered brand of paint?

Thanks.

As much as I really dont want to paint mine I have no choice as the corrosion on the panels are getting really bad.

I have decided that I want a satin/matt finish so that I can keep touching up the bad spots whenever needed.

I iether want nato green or the desert sand colour.

Are there any colour code #s for these colours and a prfered brand of paint?

Thanks.

DO NOT PAINT IT MATT !!! its a nightmare to clean, fades very quickly and leaves white scratches. Worst thing ever did painting mine matt Nato green. Satin miles better.

Bs 381-285 is NATO green

I bought 5ltr of two pack when I sprayed 45 used about half of it. Plus about the same in primer. That was 1 dust coat and 3 proper coats. I took most the trim off opened all the doors and masked across the shuts I also took the spats and bonnet off. The roof was done stood through the sunroof then finish round the outside. You need to build a good poly tent please use extraction and you will need an air fed hood two pack very bad for you as are all paints. Metallic two pack gives a good finish and doesn't need lacquer.

Mike