Optima's Vs Exide

MogLite

The Optima yellow top I had for MogLite is dead, has been on charge with Fridge's Optimate charger for over a week, and it won't go over 10.9Volts :angry:

So it looks like I've got to get a new battery.

If I'm going to do it, I'm going to fit twin batteries, one for the rear winch and other accessories, and the other for starting.

I'm going to run some kind of split charge, as covered in other threads as MogLite will be a V8 - it will need lots of starting if it gets wet.

A red/yellow Optima combination is tried and trusted.

But ISTR Exide Maxima DC900's out perform them, and are a bit cheaper, and have three connections per battery, which will be handy.

LR90 - I know you run Exide's - anyone else ?

Trev why did you go for Exides ?

I run twin optimas...had one for 5 years and one for 7 years, so they are doing ok !

Use the Optimate on them regularly,

Bought them as there was little competition about for them at that time, Exides I think may be as good / better, have a couple of mates who have them and no probs.

There heavy, just like Optimas, but cheaper....

If I was to replace I would prob go Exides now, as I have heard Optimatas quality control is not as good as it was ?

Nige

I bought Exides cos I could get them local (Furnaux Riddel?), cheaper than Optimas and bit different. The extra lugs are usefull

Also the more I looked into it there where many different models of optima 'yellow' top so it wasn't clear quite what I was going to be getting for my money.

Not sure at the end of the day whether there will be much in it. Optimas have been kown to give up. So far mine are fine and I did burn out the isolator at Slindon so they must be delivering the amps :) Happy with my choice FWIW.

Try these guys there in Romsey

www.dmstech.co.uk

That way if it gives out like the optimas seem the have a habbit of you can throw it through there front window instead of shipping it across the globe to be told its fine :D:D:D

Jules

Andy has one that's died

Ali has one thats died

I'm not conviced mine is right (all it has to do is start a td4 freelander and it can't always manage that)

The old 90 has a 5yr old truck battry in it and it's been run flat loads of times on sat I was cutting the lawn and had to move the 90 so I dug out the keys and it started not bad for leaving it for two months and forgetting to disconect the battry. It was furing up at its last Mot that was feb 04 so its not doing too bad but I have been looking at the dms red tops as they will make whet ever you want.

If the Optimate won't revive it then nothing will....I have a red top which used to run flat when I left the truck standing for a few weeks [bloody Immobiliser spider problem] and a standard charger could never revive it. The Optimate would bring it back to full charge after 24 hours.

I love them, but they are very expensive, and there are alternatives which are good enough for most uses.

Throw it away and find a cheap source for a Maxima.

Neil

PS Trev - where is Furnaux Riddel and how much?

I have 2 Exide Maxximas, although they're called Orbitals over here. The main reason I got the exides instead of Optima Yellow Tops was that they have almost identical specs., but the Optimas were $400 each and the Exides were $225 each. :o Being the Accountant type and having fresh batteries in my calculator, well...you know... :rolleyes:

i am just running two Fann tractor batteries, both are about 30-40% bigger than (more amp hr) than the std LR one and they are only £40 each. but have only been in there a year! i can get the details of them if needed. its always worth trying your local agricultural merchant etc.

I've got a pair of Maxxima's although they haven't been on long enough yet to form an opinion - they work though B) . I decided to go for them as i thought it may be better to have two batteries the same, which could be swapped around easily if needed, plus they were cheaper than optimas.