Classic auto box stuck in first

chrispy

Hello,

on the way home at the weekend, I went to overtake someone, so the kick down came on as expected but it then refused to change back up when I took my foot off the gas. In fact, she won't change gears at all now, I can still drive, but the box seems to be stuck in 1st. Reverse still works, but the 1, 2 and 3 positions make no discernible difference.

A quick check under the bonnet revealed that the vacuum hose that comes out of the driver's side bulkhead and runs accross the engine into a T-piece near the throttle had come off. Reconnecting it did not make a difference though.

Any clues would be great, ideally ones that I can fix myself ;-) I would rather not limp to the garage in first at 10mph.

Oh, it's a 1992 Vogue SE 3.9

Cheers,

Chris

Is the kick down cable sticking? Have you tried undoing it and seeing if that allows it to change up?

That sounds about right. Could you explain how to go about checking it? I'm away from home and don't have my books with me...

Cheers,

Chris

As it was working correctly I would guess it's sticking rather than set wrong, unlike when I set mine too tight and it wouldn't chaage up :rolleyes:

I would do an initial check to see if the cable appears to be moving freely and if that seems ok undo the kick down cable from the throttle linkage completely and see if that sorts it, not sure about the gearbox end of it. Obviously disconnecting the cable is for fault finding and not a permanent solution.

I'm not really familair with your engine but think the kick down cable is at the back of the plenum

I'm not really familair with your engine but think the kick down cable is at the back of the plenum

Kickdown cable is attached to the throttle linkage on the plenum. Can't remember where the gearbox end is, but I guess you can trace it from there.

Fixed it! Turned out to be a stuck kickdown cable. A little loop was hanging out of the cable guide by the throttle assembly, wiggled it a bit and it snapped back into place. I'm hoping a generous squirt of WD40 will keep it moving...

Thanks all for your help,

Chris