Defender Bulkhead Repair Panel

I'm currently restoring a B reg 110 County. Like most the corners of the upper part of the bulkhead have corroded. I purchased the corner repair panels with the longer leg thinking that they would do the job.

However my lad has now got stuck into it and the rust has progressed more than the panels will repair.

We've already discussed welding in some additional steel sections which seems simple enough.

Some months ago, whilst surfing ebygumbay, I notices a re[air panel that was available to cover the whole of the upper section. I've searched again since, but can't find the panel. I've also searched Google and visited numerous website but with no luck.

The panel was priced at around £100, which at the time I felt was steep, but now I'm not too sure with the amount of work it would save.

I wondered if any member had utilised such a panel, and could advise where I may obtain one?

webbersdad

• 1 month later...

I've been in contact with Craddocks.

They advise that the panel was the last one.

They had bought a production over run of the top panel.

Sadly the component is no longer available.

webbersdad

I've asked a fellow if he would start making replacement Vent panel parts, and he's looking into it. He already makes footwells for defenders - with the stiffening ribs. He repairs bulkheads and sells them on eBay, galvanised, the odd time. Very, very high quality.

What we've toyed with, as an "Idea" is a half vent panel, as it is most often just the bit inboard of the corner that has rusted through, with sufficient lip to weld to a corner repair piece.

If needs be a pair could be used to repair the entire vent, and 2 parts the entire top.

G.

I've asked a fellow if he would start making replacement Vent panel parts, and he's looking into it. He already makes footwells for defenders - with the stiffening ribs. He repairs bulkheads and sells them on eBay, galvanised, the odd time. Very, very high quality.

What we've toyed with, as an "Idea" is a half vent panel, as it is most often just the bit inboard of the corner that has rusted through, with sufficient lip to weld to a corner repair piece.

If needs be a pair could be used to repair the entire vent, and 2 parts the entire top.

G.

Sounds like a plan, but how long will I need to wait?

webbersdad

I'll ask him. He's on the Irish forum.

G.

He is doing a test pressing this weekend. PM me your contact details and I'll forward to him.

G.

• 2 months later...

I'm still waiting.

The project is currently in limbo pending this and time to make an alternative.

webber

fixed mine with some 2mm sheet steel recovered from some old factory racking, we cut 2 fronts & 2 side piece. just found my photo's again. in this thread http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=14910&st=0&p=155194entry155194

• 3 months later...

I've asked a fellow if he would start making replacement Vent panel parts, and he's looking into it. He already makes footwells for defenders - with the stiffening ribs.

Did this ever happen? I did see some, once, and now that I want some I can't find any!