Terrafirma 2" lift kit articulation

Dont know what made me do it the other day, but I was on my forklift next to my 90 and thought I'd give it a lift on the rockslider to see what amount of suspension travel I have got, only to find that my springs didnt dislocate on the rear. :(

Now I put on a Terrafirma Medium 2" lift kit about 3 years ago and also dislocation cones (or relocation ;) ). I have also retro fitted cranked trailing arms and expected good articulation.

I have heard stories about the standard Terrafirma 2" shocks not actually being +2" :blink: so Im guessing that the travel is being limited by the shocks and wonder whether to either fit longer travel shocks or simply a drop-kit?

Off to Newbury show next weekend so thought I better pose the question here 1st!

Any advise guys?

Dave is right.

Assuming you are using shock mounts in the standard position: you've put springs on that give a 2" lift. So the distance between your axle and chassis is now 2" greater, then you have 2" longer shocks which match the increased distance giving you the same downwards travel as a standard set up. You 'may' gain a little travel on compression - theoretically it's where extra 2" is - but the stronger spring probably won't compress that much.

I have heard stories about the standard Terrafirma 2" shocks not actually being +2" :blink:

the +2" shocks you get off the shelf are not +2" extra travel same with +5" shocks are not 5" of extra travel or they would be massive..

If you want springs to dislocate then lower the suspension mounts. as has been said the newer spring are longer and stronger so you will not be getting the same uptravel as you were (on standard springs) so you can easy lose some of this.

On my truck (same springs but the longer "+5" shocks) i try and stop to much dislocation (gwyn's relocating hook things) as when that spring unloads (most likely at the top of some big drop) it can un-balance the car. The hook helps by trying to pick up the axle and so adding some of the un-sprung weight to that conner of the car hopefully keeping you the right way up...

post-1650-0-06400800-1301301287_thumb.jpg

Oh if you do fit the relocating hooks where the terrafirma springs are progressive make sure you fit them so the the wider spaced coils catch the hook :)

hope this helps

Paul