Problem with driver's side door lock

JonT

Good evening, all - I wonder if anyone can give me a point in the right direction to solve a problem which has arisen today on my '51 plate TD4 3-door ??

Problem is that the drivers side door lock will not unlock on the blipper - it will LOCK on the blipper, but not unlock. The expected 'clunk' can be heard when pressing the blipper button, but the door button stays down, lock stays locked. It will also not lock/unlock on the dashboard switch which locks/unlocks all doors, including rear door. To get into the car, I have to 'blip' twice, get in on the passenger side, and open the driver's door manually using the interior door handle.

I have checked the linkages between lock and door handles (inside and outside), and all appears to be OK

Any and all hints/tips gratefully accepted

Mine does exactly the same, and it's an indication that the lock unit has failed. I don't believe they are serviceable, and you have to buy a complete new unit (expensive). Maybe someone else has had more experience of this.

On the other hand, you can always unlock the driver's door with the key, rather than climbing over the passenger seat!

"On the other hand, you can always unlock the driver's door with the key, rather than climbing over the passenger seat!"

Ahh - thereby hangs another tale !! Key will go in, but not turn - when I have the exterior handle and door latch off to replace the latch (this weekend), I'll have a look at the barrel lock itself to see if I can fix it

I'm afraid that it will - I suppose that you could always get a "pre-owned" latch, but there is no guarantee that it will last any length of time. At least, that was my reasoning. The new unit cost me £92, as against second-hand for about £40 (possibly), but at least I have a unit which I know is good. The unit I removed was second-hand (it still carried the yellow paint marks put on by the dismantler), and given that the unit it replaced had been left in the back door of the motor by the previous owner, I reckon that it had been fitted no more than 12 months previously !!

I also think that it was an incorrect fitment - in both the original and the new unit I purchased there were 7 pins for the multi-plug connector - in the unit |I removed, there were 8 !

• 9 years later...
On 4/4/2011 at 10:01 AM, tim_roberts said:

Does anyone know what it is that goes wrong on these units? Is it anything more serious than a wire falling off inside? Is it possible to dismantle them?

There is two small 12v motors inside the lock actuator they get gumed up  and the contacts fail. I have personally stripped and cleaned the brushes and they worked fine again for a while.

• 5 months later...
On 1/2/2021 at 10:34 PM, Big jon said:

There is two small 12v motors inside the lock actuator they get gumed up  and the contacts fail. I have personally stripped and cleaned the brushes and they worked fine again for a while.

Does one remove the lock itself to access the lock actuator?

Thanks for info