The Pikies are coming

wizard

I think a bunch of pikies are eying up my 110.

Yesterday while I was unloading some material a truck with 3 blokes in stopped and wanted to know if I wanted to sell it and whats it worth ect, and later last night another traveller type vehcile made a meal of turning around in our street right next to the Defender.

I think its time to rig up an alarm ! Has anyone got some good suggestions ? What about those bars that lock the steering wheel to the pedels are they any good ?

Regards

wizard

I have learned the hard way that NOTHING will stop Pikeys. But anything you do to slow them down will help, I have literally found the best thing to do is concrete into the ground a large HD ring and a PROPER security chain through the chassis and chain it down. Best thing to get is a decent tracker so you can find it when its gone and deal with them :ph34r:

Steve

Are you petrol Or diesel?

I allays disable mine - I have a petrol S3 & simply remove the rotor arm before leaving it in dodgy places. ( its door locks are less than effective )

unless they are super organised & come with a tow truck or spares there is no way they can start it.

reasoning by doing it like that I can see a thief attacking some form of crook lock etc as its a physical barrier stopping them but can you really see a thief trying to work out why it wont start or move?

I am not sure how to disable a diesel quickly & easily though,

On another point all our vehicles parked in the yard at work over night have a one way hydraulic valve in their brake system - its key operated to allow fluid to go both ways. The procedure on leaving the vehicle is remove the line key & stamp the brakes - they will stay on untill the key is put back in. I guess it would work in a clutch too so you never get drive... I am afraid I dont know the brand of these units but I could ask.

I have learned the hard way that NOTHING will stop Pikeys. But anything you do to slow them down will help, I have literally found the best thing to do is concrete into the ground a large HD ring and a PROPER security chain through the chassis and chain it down. Best thing to get is a decent tracker so you can find it when its gone and deal with them :ph34r:

Steve

That should work, but you'd want some serious chain, there are portable angle grinders and the like.

Noise, security lighting and CCTV all help, but beware of using methods that have dubious legality:

http://www.cheetah.ie/index.php/products/battery-controllers/

Failing that, have you considered leaving a few copies of "Guns & Ammo" in the cabin? Along with some empty shotgun cartridges?

Or some UKIP/SinnFein/BNP election literature on the dashboard?

The problem nowadays is they use HIABs and other cranes to snatch and grab.

They then abandon for 3 days to see if a tracker is fitted, after that the vehicle is shipped abroad, or stripped.

So you need to be thinking big to stop them, even so, the trend around here is to break into the house, steal the key (with menace) and then take the car.

On another point all our vehicles parked in the yard at work over night have a one way hydraulic valve in their brake system - its key operated to allow fluid to go both ways. The procedure on leaving the vehicle is remove the line key & stamp the brakes - they will stay on untill the key is put back in. I guess it would work in a clutch too so you never get drive... I am afraid I dont know the brand of these units but I could ask.

I'm sure i've seen somthing on the net about this system, as they talked about it's possible illegality if put in the break system, but they fit to the clutch system.

See linky at mudstuff. Mech lock is the product name.

And this from their FAQs

Can I fit the Mech Lock System® to the brakes?

NO… & YES!

EU law states that: "Devices to prevent unauthorised use preventing release of the brakes of the vehicles shall not be permitted." We are therefore unable to advertise or supply the Mech Lock System® for use as a brake immobiliser.

In Italy, fitting the Mech Lock System® to the brakes is commonplace. The Italians get around the EU ruling by claiming the system does not interfere with the braking system when in normal driving conditions. Only when the system is activated by the owner and the vehicle is at a standstill does it prevent the release of the brakes and these are not 'normal driving conditions.' Providing the braking system has not first been pressurised by the application of the brake pedal, then in a passive situation, the Mech Lock System® is not "preventing the release of the brakes". If a thief was to start a vehicle with the system activated they could theoretically drive away perfectly normally… until the first time they have to apply the brakes. As soon the brakes are applied, the Mech Lock System® would activate. When the vehicle had reached a standstill the brakes would not release making the vehicle impossible to drive away.

Although we go along with the Italians literal interpretation of the EU rule, we feel this is still a grey area and one that could be open to legal scrutiny. Therefore, MUD UK has agreed with Mech Lock System UK that we will not supply an off-the-shelf kit for fitting the device into the brake system. If we supply a Mech Lock System® to operate as a clutch lock and you plumb the device into your braking system, the purchaser does so entirely at their own risk. All warranties and guarantees will automatically become void.

but if you fitted a mech lock to your brakes and pumped them up when you are parked up - then the brakes will be locked on and prevent the vehicle being driven away. Therefore you are not going to be hit by the 'in normal use' thing, as the vehicle wont be able to move in the first place!

not sure if this would damage your braking circuit though, being left pressurised overnight.

personally i would remove the battery, take a lead off the injection pump and chain the steering wheel to the pedals. You will not stop them using a HIAB without some serious hardware on your driveway, so do what you can and hope for the best.

maybe upgrade your insurance to an agreed value policy thats a little bit above what its currently worth in the meantime? ;)

A friend's three Rhodesian Ridgebacks worked rather well at preventing the theft of his HCPU, chainsaws and quad-bike.

The offenders were cornered and took emergency refuge in a mobile toilet: when he called the police he told them "no need for you to hurry, nobody's going anywhere."

I think a bunch of pikies are eying up my 110.

Yesterday while I was unloading some material a truck with 3 blokes in stopped and wanted to know if I wanted to sell it and whats it worth ect, and later last night another traveller type vehcile made a meal of turning around in our street right next to the Defender.

I think its time to rig up an alarm ! Has anyone got some good suggestions ? What about those bars that lock the steering wheel to the pedels are they any good ?

Regards

wizard

A friend's three Rhodesian Ridgebacks worked rather well at preventing the theft of his HCPU, chainsaws and quad-bike.

The offenders were cornered and took emergency refuge in a mobile toilet: when he called the police he told them "no need for you to hurry, nobody's going anywhere."

Aye, that's the best way - only thing they are afraid of is dogs and shotguns.

I chased two of them off one night across three feilds in the dark - i didnt have a powerful enough torch to get a good look at them. I did think about taking the dogs, and my boys would have attacked them but all they'd need is a screwdriver or something and i have a dead dog. Police came eventually but they were long gone by then. Got the chainsaw, but i saved the brand new mower! Very frustrating!

Laughing out loud :lol: :lol:

Rhodesians Ridgebacks barely bark. Any bark is for real and they can even corner a lion. :unsure:

How about sticking a notice in the vehicle window the front and back saying. THIS VEHICLE IS BEING MONITORED CCTV on a large card even day glow. Legality is the owning of a CCTV equipment and not advertising the fact. If the characters are of the illiterate type then have Camera and Eye symbol pictured instead. At least it may make them stop and think!

They are not pikeys they are charming travelling people who earn a few pennies doing odd jobs and maybe a bit of scrumping :ph34r:

As I said before in another thread, I know for a FACT pikeys are taking a interest in landrovers in a big way, and the police dont care

If they are using a Hiab just park it under some low level power lines :P

This is (Hiabs), however, a genuine concern. I like the idea of a ground anchor as an angle grinder attacking the chain would wake me up pretty quickly.

When you look at the amount of BIG farm and plant machinery stolen each year our Landy's are an easy target really.

You'd think that the police would notice a Landy on the back of a flatbed at 1am and think that it may have been stolen, worth stopping to check <_<

I have a secret immobiliser, the handbrake lock Simmonites used to sell years ago - don't know if they still do - and my garage is protected by an alarm.

You can get outside lights which make a ringer sound when the PIR is activated. The dinger goes off even if the bulb is shot so you can have it in stealth mode if you want. We have one of these in the wifes garage and it works really well.

I've seen them advertised as driveway protectors too. Might be worth a thought.

Thanks for all the replys.

The plan so far is to park the 110 (Tdi) in the driveway with a switch to cut the power to the fuel solenoid. Then park Mrs wizards freelander behind it.(pikey are scared of freelanders)

I have a 4 year old hyperactive staffy, but I dont think I can trust him in the truck over night.

cheers

wizard

dont use dogs to protect your stuff from pikeys.

there were 2 incidents in wakefield last year where they threw food over a fence laced with ketamine (horse tranq) to shut the dogs up at private industrial units. Waited a few minutes then popped over and let themselves in.

iirc in both cases the dogs died.

just insure your stuff and take reasonable precautions. its only a vehicle and its insured.