The Pikies are coming

wizard

Too late now, but next time your asked if you want to sell it, say 'nah, i just spent hundreds having every panel security etched and trackers hidden in everything on the truck.'

Now i know pikeys are cunning, and sneaky and good at what they do, but at the end of the day they are, almost to a man uneducated, stupid and lazy. Even a stupid pikey can pick an easy target over a tricky one so do all you can and then use stickers, bluff and bullsh to cover the corners you can't afford. After all, these boys think if they wear a flat cap and tweed whilst driving their brand new pickup people will think they're good honest counrty folk and that an 0800 number, a token sprig of privet hedge and the words 'landscape tree surgery and driveways' on the side mean nobody knows they're out stealing scrap.

If you're a pikey and this offends you, i'm very sorry. You thieving pikey. :)

If this needs moderating, then mod away moderator.

I have CCTV on this house and at my dad's I park any LR waydown the drive behind a security post, that way the LR or even my Sankey is beyond the reach of a Hi-Ab.

You really can't think of all the possibilites but a good combination of anti-theft measures might just make them move on to some other poor sod instead.

There are trackers out there that will let you know if the vehicle moves more than a metre or so. I looked at one for the Capri when it was in the unit, but no tracker could protect it from arsonists :(

Now I keep everything where I can see it, not that it's any guarantee. I have pedal locks and disclocks plus a variety of electrical imobilisers, wheel locks and drive posts. I just have to hope they'l make enough noise in getting past those to attract some attention.

A car thief will always choose the easiest target....that means its someone else's problem...It doesn't stop the crime but it stops you being the victim.

A hidden switch for the fuel stop solenoid is an easy mod to make if an immobiliser is to expensive. Or several hidden switches that need to be activated in a certain order?

A hidden switch for the fuel stop solenoid is an easy mod to make if an immobiliser is to expensive. Or several hidden switches that need to be activated in a certain order?

I don't mean to be a Job's comforter, but it's hard to avoid in these circumstances.

There has been a recent post on the National 4x4Response Forum to the effect that 'Mrs X was woken by her neighbour reporting that Mrs X's Disco was on fire'. The report is that someone tried to steal the Disco, couldn't start it because of a fuel stop switch, so broke the glass and inserted a burning rag. Both the Disco and Mrs X are gutted.

It seems that some of these people believe they have a right to steal cars off people who can afford to own them, and become aggrieved if they are denied the opportunity to steal.

I've read reports of comments displaying the same point of view from someone who broke a car window because the owner had covered 'whatever' was in the load bay, so the only way to see if the contents were worth stealing was to break the window.

I don't have answers, except the rather vague approach that everyone has to take whatever anti-theft precautions they feel financially justified in doing.

I do find it depressing. I want to put a 1960s Series 2 on the road, but I don't know what I'm going to do about carrying or storing items in it. Emptying it after every trip will soon get boring.

Regards,

Emptying it after every trip will soon get boring.

This is the approach i used to take when i owned my previous defenders... Just don't put anything in there in the first place so you don't have to remove it.

And i've known someone to have their window smashed to steal an empty packet of fags that were left on the dashboard!

It seems that some of these people believe they have a right to steal cars off people who can afford to own them, and become aggrieved if they are denied the opportunity to steal.

Slightly innaccurate. They actualy believe that it's their car, I kid you not! A mate of mine was secconded into youth service to babysit the TWOC squad a while ago and how he managed not to arrange a stunning series of fatal canoeing accidents is beyond me. Anyway, he learned first hand that these youngsters firmly believe they have to right to take "your" car because it's actually theirs and you are the thief. Go figure!

BTW, I'd never recommend using a dog to protect valuable property, I like dogs too much. I'd have to say though that even a dog in your house will give you fair warning of what's going on outside.

Or as an alternative perhaps a wireless PIR inside the Defender programmed into a house alarm? I've also heard of baby monitors being used in garages to protect bikes.

Makes me wonder why we bother sometimes, I nearly sold up completely after my unit got done over.

Anyway, he learned first hand that these youngsters firmly believe they have to right to take "your" car because it's actually theirs and you are the thief. Go figure!

Marxism in action I guess.

Or as an alternative perhaps a wireless PIR inside the Defender programmed into a house alarm? I've also heard of baby monitors being used in garages to protect bikes.

These are apparently very good if you are at home and concerned about nocturnal skulduggery: http://www.amazon.co...M/dp/B003MWFIBE ...or one like it. Inside the car/garage etc. so as not to alert you each time next-doors cat comes to sh*t in the garden (we have a PIR sprinkler to deal with that issue).

I have to confess that I am very taken with the idea of a shotgun mine, not least because it will attract a lot of attention in a residential area like mine.

Chris

It seems that these types often operate under cover of darkness and I suppose the last thing that they would want would be extra attention drawn to them - such as a car horn (located somwhere inconveniently inaccessible) going off continuously. It could be connected to the interior lamp, operated on a simple time delay (5 seconds?), a latching relay and a 'disarm/off' switch known only to the car owner. There will be one in my next Defender.

As someone above observed, they will just find an easier target, there are plenty out there.

Chris

I had a conversation at work with some of our more mobile brethren asking if my 110 was for sale?

I said something along the lines of "Trust me - you don't want it mate! I wish someone would nick it - but it's been so unreliable I know it would be broken before it gets out the gate! <expletive> piece of <another expletive>"

I figured a bit of reverse psychology would go further than trying to frighten them off.

One of them (who I suspect had a liking for 'Dags') just said "Orgh" and they both wandered away to have a look in a skip.

They've been back a couple of times to ask if I've got any old Batteries or scrap metal - but have never looked twice at the 110.

Si

I have to confess that I am very taken with the idea of a shotgun mine, not least because it will attract a lot of attention in a residential area like mine.

Chris

Not sure if you can still get them but used to use them with tracers so it not only wakes the dead but lights up the sky as well.

Just a quick thought, cheap and easy way to add confusion, you could put a switch in the the fuel stop solenoid wire, switch open no connection, no fuel no starting (if they are trying to drive off with it). Just then hid the switch somewhere in the engine bay that is no obvious?

Opps, just scan read the other replies, looks like you are already there. Ok, here is one then you can add to help some more. Get some locks for the bonnet, there are all sorts about that would be fine. Then get rid of the bonnet release catch.

Opps, just scan read the other replies, looks like you are already there. Ok, here is one then you can add to help some more. Get some locks for the bonnet, there are all sorts about that would be fine. Then get rid of the bonnet release catch.

I thought the 110 came with a bonnet lock, then Land Rover deleted it on the Defender ?

I saw this and immediately ordered one.

The company seem very good - there was a problem with my address and they phoned to check, and posted it the same day.

The device is basic and works as described, but I haven't checked the range. My car is a truck cab and I have the sensor fitted behind the drivers head in the corner so it can easily be switched on and off as required (to save battery when driving), and from where it covers the whole cabin.

I am not worried about publicly posting where the sensor is, since I have confirmed that it is impossible to get even a hand inside the car without the home unit emitting a very loud bing-bong :)

Thanks for the suggestion GBMUD :)

That's a really clever, simple idea! Something similar would work to protect tents etc at Billing too.

Si

and in a lot of hotels too if it's range is as good as advertised (100 metres)... but it has just occurred to me that it would be more versatile if the receiver worked of batteries too - which this one does not...

and in a lot of hotels too if it's range is as good as advertised (100 metres)... but it has just occurred to me that it would be more versatile if the receiver worked of batteries too - which this one does not...

I would bet that internally it runs off 5v or 12v though - and could have a battery pack added.

Si