Items required by law for MOT?

SHY 7G

Hi all could some of you give me some direction. I'm putting a May 1969 Series 2a back together and I'm not sure exactly what it does actually need by law.

I have no hazards,rear fog lamp, & reversing lamp, do I need to get these fitted to the landy before MOT? Although a very good safety item do I need to have front and rear seat belts/straps??. I also don't have a spare wheel is this an MOT failure?

all words of wisdom very much appreciated.

thanks

Rich :rolleyes:

My 1972 Series III has no hazards, rear fog or reversing lamps and also no spare wheel and it passed an MOT without any issues.

As for seatbelts, I don't think rears are required but fronts are after a certain date. I know my '72 does require them, but I don't know when the cut-off date is I'm afraid.

Hi all could some of you give me some direction. I'm putting a May 1969 Series 2a back together and I'm not sure exactly what it does actually need by law.

I have no hazards,rear fog lamp, & reversing lamp, do I need to get these fitted to the landy before MOT? Although a very good safety item do I need to have front and rear seat belts/straps??. I also don't have a spare wheel is this an MOT failure?

thanks

Hi, I can only speak from experience of my 1971 Series III and 1970 Austin Mini, but hopefully it will help.

There is no requirement for hazards, rear fog lamp or reversing lamp, if not originally fitted to the vehicle when new (which they were not I believe), however any lamps which are fitted must be in the correct location and work properly.

Again if seat belts are fitted they need to be safe and legal and work correctly. Rear seat belts were not a requirement until sometime in the 80's I think, not sure when fronts came in. But I know I could have got away with lap belts in the front of mine, as that was standard back then. You can come into issues if the vehicle has the mounting points, but you have not got belts, but depends on how vigilant the MOT tester is (more of an issue with reshelled mini's than landies I think)

Finally, spare wheel, again if it is present it should be legal, but unlikely they will fail you for it. And as far as I know it is not a requirement at all.

Hope that helps, and it is correct!

Cheers

I don't know the actual dates, but front belts became mandatory in the late sixties while rear belts only became mandatory in the mid eighties - I don't think any Series vehicles had them as standard, other than perhaps the 109 Station Wagon.

The reversing lamp was also only optional on the SIII, and I don't think rear fog lamps were mandatory until after SIII production ceased either, though I could be mistaken on the latter - my 1982 109 had a fog lamp but no reverse, and I have rarely seen fog lights on even late SIIIs.

If they're fitted, they have to be serviceable, but their fitment is optional. I would recommend fitting them anyway, as all are highly effective safety devices.

The spare tyre is not testable, though it can pick up an advisory if there is a fault, and is optional on all vehicles (many modern vehicles don't carry spares).

Only thing I would add is that if you do fit a fog lamp, it must also have a tell-tale lamp on the dashboard which functions.

Having fitted one to my '68 IIa it was failed because this lamp was not present... :(

Have a browse across to MOT Man

Tells all in fairly simple English.

thanks

You dont need any of the lights you mentioned.

You dont need rear seatbelts.

You DO need front seatbelts.

You dont need to carry a spare wheel, but if you do carry one then the tyre on it must be legal.

Jon

Never needed (and never been fitted) any seatbelts on my '65 IIa

Hi thanks all for your feedback, regards to the rear fog lamp can it be just be switched through an illuminated switch or does it need to be wired through the lighting system so it only works when the tail lights are on?

Why bother with it? It wouldnt have origionally been fitted with one?

Just something else to go wrong IMHO....

Cant remember the last time I used them on my daily tbh, so wouldnt bother with them on a landrover.....

Jon

it's funny, but this last year I've used the fogs a lot! Haven't for years, and then I need them. Especially on the motorway with a trailer!

Standard issue on a 1981 109".