how hot for a gearbox

lawrence

I have a 300tdi auto on a N plate. I was wondering how hot the area around the gear level should get agfter a run. It has always been warm ever since I have owned the vehicle. The oil has been changed recentley and a the gearbox has been changed bue to a gear selection issue. The area around the D for drive gets warm but no other area and it never gets too hot so that you can't touch it. Is this normal or is my second gearbox about to die aswell. Ince the car stops the heat goes very quickly and if you push the car up any short of hill or travel at any speed like 60 it seem to run hotter than normal.

Any help would be more than appreciated.

What we tend to do is run the box on synthetic ATF, normally DXIII. Ordinary old ATF doesn't like going above 120c which is easily done with an auto especially when towing horse-boxes or similar. If you can afford it RedLine make a range of synthetic ATFs. These are not affected by heat.

Err, you aren't feeling the temperature of the gearbox, it's operated by a cable. What you are feeling is the heat from under the floor, a great dealof which is air that is blown past the engine as well as radiated form the gearbox.

My V8 gets quite hot, I can hardly touch the metal bit. It was fine for a couple of years and I don't think the temp had much to do with it's demise.