Gearbox extended breathers

Steve_M

I want to put extended breathers on the gearbox/transfer box as a first step to some deeper wading, is it as straight forward as doing the axles or is there more involved?

Cheers Steve

Yeah, me too, I'd love to hear from anyone who has done this. Where do they go and what thread fittings are used ? Do you use threaded holes that are already there or do you drill and tap them yourself ? Just a thought is there any thing else that should be modded ?

I bought my axles' extended breathers in eBay. There are also gear/transfer-boxes kits.

But I believe you can get all the parts together, without any problem and a lot cheaper. The same goes for gear/tranfer-boxes, as it is basically the same kit. The main difference is that on the axles the holes are already there, while on the boxes you'll have to drill the holes. The main concern will be to make sure that the drilled hole doesn't allow any water to get in :D

Just an add on, Who sells extended axle breathers ? also gearbox breathers ? and more to the point how much do they cost ?

I got mine from paddocks. They are lower profile than the ones you would get if you made up your own from hydraulic fitting; they are like a banjo bolt woith the hose coming out of the side and a bolt to that fits series axles.

Cost, from memory about £10 each; the front are longer than the rear but I fitted mine other way round as it is better for me.

I want to put extended breathers on the gearbox/transfer box as a first step to some deeper wading, is it as straight forward as doing the axles or is there more involved?

Cheers Steve

What gearbox and t/case do you have.

LT95, LT77, R380 and LT230, have breathers from the factory. In a rangie, the breather tubes run into the engine bay and fix to the upper part of the firewall.

I had a look at some pics I have on the computer (LR related... :D ) and found one that I believe can help you.

I'm sure it was taken from another post here or on another forum (or maybe from someone's website). So, sorry in advance for this obvious copy :ph34r:

anyway, here it is:

gbxbreathers7mg.jpg

Thanks everyone for the top help,I shall now be able to get the job done with the confidence that I am doing it right. Just one more thing, when drilling the thin metal plate on the top of the gearbox do you HAVE to use a 1/8th bsp tap or is there a suitable drill size that will be ok ( bearing in mind it is thin plate ) ? Once again many thanks.

Not really sure what you are asking, and I am not sure if this is stating the obvious, but you will need to drill the hole and then tap the thread into it. The hole should be the correct tapping drill size for 1/8th BSP which is 11/32" or 8.8 mm.

If you are asking why use 1/8th BSP rather than say M10 then 1/8 BSP is the thread on the pipe connectors, and is easy to obtain, so it seems like the logical choice really.

Hope that helps (and isn't stating the bleeding obvious...) :)

Mark

edited to note that tonk already covered it... ;)

Was thinking that with the " right " size drill and the fact that it is thin plate then a compromise might be found where the fitting would screw itself in much like a self tapper. Security not being too critical 'cos it isn't load bearing like a bolt........ Too tight too buy a tap I suppose !........ I like the idea of using a 1/8th bsp nut, it's obvious once someone tells you. Reckon I'll go down that route, thanks.