topless seatbelts

SeriesEwan

Hi again

Summer is on its way & i am considering taking off my roof, I Have a late series 3 with inertia reel belts in the front, can anyone suggest a good way of securing the top loop over of the belt? I know there are hoops that may be useful for this has anyone fitted one or can anyone recommend one?

I bought a roll hoop for my 109 for that very purpose a few years back. Goes in really easily using the holes either end of the rear bulkhead and has a plate either end that needs riveting/bolting to the bulkhead. I cut the horizontal hood sticks to fit to it as it has fixing points for them.

I'm pretty sure it's a military roll hoop but I bought it from Beaulieu so cant be much help on where to get one now.

• 3 weeks later...

It just so happens I'm planning on going topless - i need to fit insulation and headlining to my hardtop, as well as replacing the body seals which all leak. I must admit, I'd completely forgotten about the seatbelts, even though I always use them.

Does anyone have a link to a legal document or some such about these things? I'm thinking that I could make my own hoop to support the seatbelts - I have a BSP pipe bender and a good source of BSP pipe, and a dab hand with the welder. It occurs to me that there may be some requirement for attachment points, as a simple hoop mounted at each end would have almost no real strength. My Brother had a bolt-on 'rollcage' for his 109, which simply bolted through the cappings. I wonder whether the same would suffice?

Under no circumstances would it ever be expected to be used in the event of a rollover while offroading, I'll keep my hardtop for that thanks!

Under no circumstances would it ever be expected to be used in the event of a rollover while offroading, I'll keep my hardtop for that thanks!

THat sounds to me like a dangerous option, as a landrover roof does very little in case of a roll over.

Daan

Lets face it, the roof only bolts to the cappings! Ok, & a few other places :rolleyes:

A series hard top is stronger than you'd think. The guy that bought my old 2a many many years ago, rolled it at a trial doing a full 1+1/4 roll & only broke one bit of glass (the interior mirror) a dented the rear top corner. :o I wouldn't recomend trying it though. :D

More than anything I dont want to get muddy insides when off-roading! I've had the 88 on her side and done no damage to the bodywork. I dont tackle difficult stuff with her, she's more of a greenlane-r, as she's also our daily drive, i need her for work, and she's our restoration vehicle.

My question is on a legal side of things, not whether my hardtop is good for offroading. I should also add that she'll only be running round town with the roof off, and not blasting up the M6, so 30mph tops, which I'm aware can still be dangerous.

I want to know, whether I'd need to fit a roll-over hoop thats all welded, got rear stay bars bolted to the chassis, of 2.5" steel tube (or whatever it is rollcages have to be made of...), or whether a hoop thats securly bolted to the body and structually sound would be acceptable to plod, as in whether its MOT-able.

I appreciate that bracing to the top of the screen only would have little strength in the event of an accident.

I had an alternative thought...can you use retractable lap belts in front seats, which would save the need for a hoop?

I thought about that... but lap belts do not stop your upper body flopping forward in the event of a crash... this can cause injuries in itself not to mention from injuries aquired by knocking yourself against a series dash/bulkhead

I have tried a few ex-mil places for a roll hoop to no avail all I have found is hoops to go over the windscreen area preventing the driver been crushed

When I take the truck cab off my 88" SIII, the top fixing of non-retractable seatbelts just goes through a convenient hole in the corner of front of the rear tub so the belt goes over my shoulder, it actually feels better than when it is mounted on the side of the cab.

THat sounds to me like a dangerous option, as a landrover roof does very little in case of a roll over.

Series hardtops are a lot stronger than most people think providing all the fixings are in place

thats me rolling my lightweight and there was minimal vehicle damage and no injury to me or passenger so thats got to be a credit to the hardtops strength.

As for seatbelt mounting with a softtop. When i bought the lightweight it had a fixed belt (non inertia) mounted to the inside vertical face of the body capping just in front of the rear seats and that gave a nice angle over shoulder.

• 2 weeks later...

That'll be an oops then! Does show just how good the hardtops are though, that wasn't the gentlest of rolls!

I've been having discussions elsewhere about this issue as well and the general consensus is that Lap belts wouldnt be very good in the event of a crash. I did point out that center seats only had lap belts but this is due to the difficult in installing an over-shoulder belt.

I've been searching around and only found commercial bars for 109 3-dr and 110 3-dr. reason being they bolt through the cappings using a tube thats just behind the bulkhead, which is not present on an 88. So, to this end, I intend to construct my own in the same style, using a continuos length of BSP tubing, for which I have a bender, in the style of other products avaliable. I'll let you know how I get on, but at the moment I'm having a bit of a mare getting The 109 back on the road!

I had an alternative thought...can you use retractable lap belts in front seats, which would save the need for a hoop?

I wanted to do this to mine but I think 3 point belts are required after 1967 i beleive.

Terry.

Hi again

Summer is on its way & i am considering taking off my roof, I Have a late series 3 with inertia reel belts in the front, can anyone suggest a good way of securing the top loop over of the belt? I know there are hoops that may be useful for this has anyone fitted one or can anyone recommend one?

I have a 1966 88 with them mounted upside down on the top of the bulkhead behind the seats

I have a 1966 88 with them mounted upside down on the top of the bulkhead behind the seats

i thought about that, indeed my middle belt is setup like this but it doesnt seem overly safe / sturdy if i bolt them to the bulkhead itself then the belt runs up over the shoulder which i am told is bad as itll twist the spine downwards in an accident, so i resoted to putting it on the capping piece which gives the hight but its a bit flimsy.