LT77 reverse switch question

Hi again

Couldnt get the reverse lamp to work so after an hour of bulb changing wiring check etc I managed to find that one of the wires has snapped off the reverse switch. Rather than getting the soldering iron out I thought I would replace, however.....

The connectors looks like part PRC8204 (wired at the back) which appear to cost around £20-£30, but part PRC2911 (spade connectors at back) is also listed as for a LT77 and costs £5....Big difference!

Does anyone know if there is any other difference than the connectors?

Thanks as always

Mark

PRC2911 FOR USE BEFORE 1989

PRC8204 FOR USE AFTER 1989

So really depends on the age and like for like. The length is critical for contacts to work when selecting reverse.

Cheers Oakesy

Yep you guessed it........ mine is a 1990!!!!

Therefore the more expensive one! Pity you cant interchange but like you say if the length is critical then like for like it is.

Thanks again

Mark

Well now Im really confused as Ive just took out the reverse switch and it doesnt appear to look exactly like either PRC2911 or PRC8204.

The connectors of PRC8204 but with the threaded section of PRC2911???? post-14851-0-89289600-1302026495_thumb.jpg

(There should of course be a second wire attatched)

Any suggestions?

Mark

Sorry Western I think our post crossed there!

Exactly what it looks like to me but the connections look very different and it seems to be wrong for the year???

Very bizarre but most things are on this baby! Just wondering if there were any other model numbers at this time as it appears to be around the cross-over period?

Cheers

Mark

possibly fitted with a gearbox from a older vehicle, or the switch has been changed by a previous owner,or it's a aftermarket part such as Intermotor or similar, either switch will work, but make sure it's correctly adjusted.

possibly fitted with a gearbox from a older vehicle, or the switch has been changed by a previous owner,or it's a aftermarket part such as Intermotor or similar, either switch will work, but make sure it's correctly adjusted.

ARGHHH! :blink:

Stupid me, I was that obsessed with finding an answer I didnt consider that it may be either an older box especially as it has had an engine conversion sometime in the past!

Thanks a lot for the help, one last question, is there a procedure to 'correctly adjust' as I cant seem to find one in Haynes or Workshop Manual? As if both will fit then the £5 is a winner!

Hi again

Just thought I would add a note in case anyone referred to this thread with a similar issue in the future......

The actual switch part number for mine in the photo is TKC6761 (was TKC6802)

Apparantly for use in the LT77 gearbox when fitted to TR7 and TR8's, certain MG's, Rover SDi's

You learn something everyday!

Mark

Hi again

Just thought I would add a note in case anyone referred to this thread with a similar issue in the future......

The actual switch part number for mine in the photo is TKC6761 (was TKC6802)

Apparantly for use in the LT77 gearbox when fitted to TR7 and TR8's, certain MG's, Rover SDi's

You learn something everyday!

Mark

Hello Fandrover.

Have you ordered your new switch. If not, I did a rummage around the odd collection in the shed. And I remember I had a reverse switch from an old Land Rover 1984 which had a LT77 manual gearbox. HERE IS THE PICTURE. If you would like I could post no cost. Just email me your address. john@oakesc82.calloo.co.uk

regards john

post-8867-0-57108200-1302362125_thumb.jpg

Don't buy the Britpart version of the above, they're ****e with a capital 'S' (there I go knocking Britpart again) as the teminals are not properly rivetted on and fall off when you fit a wire to them.

Mr. Oakes's offer is a good one as old quality is better than new carp, grab it :)

Mo