Upgrading Axle components

JST

So what about just getting an old Toyota Hilux and bolting its axles underneath a 90? Those things are meant to be bullet proof (diffs/shafts/CV's etc) and surely a LOT cheaper than Ashcroft upgrades??

i've pondered that idea before, an old hilux can be had for a few hundred quid, and i'm sure the axles could be grafted onto a landrover..... the only thing you would have to make is the props.... and the mountings. <_<

Thats my plan as well when i find a pair, but out of a hzj80, some come complete with lockers! :D

It would be easier and cheaper to graft the axles on then upgrade the rover items IMO.

Grem

an old Toyota Hilux and (...)meant to be bullet proof (CV's etc)

I'm not sure the original CVs are "bullet proof"...Longfields were born to replace stock Toy CVs 'cos they broke anyway,I don't know the lifespan of those...probably better than Rover ones?I guess?

What's the weight/power ratio of an Hilux compared to a Defender?

Rear diff off the V6 are used for the Toy-Rover diff conversion.

Do you have an Hilux laying around?

:)

on a slight OT (sorry thread hijack) would anyone be interested in some maraging halfshafts? :unsure:

Yep, I'd certainly take a set for the right price.

James, there's not much to add here that hasn't already been said.

On the locker front MD are a little stronger than ARB but are a little more difficult to fit. Plus there's the spares issue. For what you do I'd personally go for ARB. KAM should not be considered IMHO

On shafts, MD seem VVV strong but expensive, Jac Mac are simerlar but customer care is appaling. Ashcrofts latest shafts are very good and they'd get my money over GKN. Quaife are superb but you'd better be sitting down when they give you the bill! KAM are made of chocolate IMHO.

I've used both Ashcroft and MD/GBR drive flanges. Both are well made although I'd probably say Ashcroft ones were slightly better. On the downside the passivate coating is far, far thicker on the MD flanges.

On the subject of Outback Imports.... Put it this way, I never realised how many differant types of shafts MD made until I did bussiness with Outback; I think they sent them all to me before they got the right ones :P