300tdi starting problem?

PITBULL

my old mans 300tdi disco has just had its head skimmed but now wont turn over unless you take the glow plugs out he thinks that there's to much compression now the question is by having the head skimmed could it give the engine to much compression so it wont turn over??

It is unlikely that it has too much compression, but it could be possible. Do you have to take out all of the injectors before it will turn over?

Is there any water coming out of the injector hole when you turn it over?

On the compression side though, did you put the same holed gasket on after the skim?

Sounds as if the glow plugs are hitting the pistons. You can skim an inch off the head and it won't affect the CR as the head is flat and the combustion chamber is in the piston crown. BUT the glow plugs will stick out further and the valve stand-down may be too small which will cause the valves to hit the pistons.

I have photos somewhere of pistons where they have hit the glows.

Maybe you should put spacer washers on the glows, but I would be worried about the valve stand-down if it wasn't checked before the head was refitted.