Beadlocks?

Warthog

Both,

No (only thing you are missing is when the inner bead pops off and you destroy the outer beads clamped sidewall)

dunno, you can shop in the US or the UK for internal beadlocks, Stazworks in the US, Matt Lee in the UK

:) any help at all?

In all the uk event i've done/watched i've never seen a tyre lose an inner bead.

It's always the outer bead that goes first, from what i've seen an outer bead lock more or less solves the problem.

Though double beadlocks are undoubtedly better.

Jez's experiaces with 39"x18" boggers might be a different story though. :D

Ive popped both with 'mexs, but seen single beadies pop the unclamped inner bead on a regularish basis, I try and find a nice piccy for ya :)

my big fat boggies are glued on with double beadies - ripped the valve out and kept on driving mmmmmmm overkill is great <_<

some of the guys were on about a bead seating glue thats available - apparently that makes a heap of difference to non beadlocked tyres? I will see if I can get more info for you

Ive popped both with 'mexs, but seen single beadies pop the unclamped inner bead on a regularish basis, I try and find a nice piccy for ya :)

my big fat boggies are glued on with double beadies - ripped the valve out and kept on driving mmmmmmm overkill is great <_<

some of the guys were on about a bead seating glue thats available - apparently that makes a heap of difference to non beadlocked tyres? I will see if I can get more info for you

I have used a 'PU'based compond called 3 bond from japan for glueing tyres on and yep i works spot on.It,s main use is to be used as an engine sealer it works a treat on both applications.Not cheap mind about £25 a tube (size of a tooth paste tube).

Hmmmmm Beadlocks.

Everytime anyone mentions these I get this grey cell in my mind pop up and saying "Illegal for road use".

I know there has been a load of discussion, but can't see anyone has proved yes or no, and I would like to .....

....I am sure mechanical beadlocking rims are not allowed for UK highway use ?.....

Ok, I KNOW its not an MOT thingy, .....from my memory I remember reading about in in the wheels / tyres section of the "Construction & Use Regulations" ......but can I find my copy ?.. can I didums :angry:

How about a once and for all resolving this one ?

I would be delighted if they were road legal and I was wrong (not unknown :P ) anyone got a copy they can dig out and post up please :)

Other than the above, ...........who makes the nicest double beadlockers then ? links please !

Are they all 'stateside' ?

Me SWMBO is going shopping with a mate in NY this year, ...."hand Luggage for moi" comes to mind :lol:

Mmmmmmmmmm Exchange rate :)

Come on some other sad sod clever forumeer must have a copy of 'CAUR' ? :huh:

PetalMOTside.jpg

UK styleee uncle matt lees derigeables - I likes em.

how bling do you want Nige? Groovey US or mega groovey US allys with provision for CTIS in them?

Stazworks will cut a custom centre so you can have any design you like, chrome them etc etc

Ok, stupid question alert!! :blink:

Double beadlocks are the dogs whatsits without a doubt, just bloody expensive!

I've looked at the DIY kits for the outer rim and thought OK simple enough.

And then I've thought what about a band with a bolt (like a big jubilee clip) inserted inside the tyre and tightened around the inner bead........ not easy to instal or just plain impossible?

When you picked yourself up off the floor, let me know what you think, but be gentle!

Cheers

Andy

Got merit. Or what about fitting two/three clamps to hold the inner bead in place like those used (or used to be) on trials bikes. Might be easier to fit though I'm not sure how you'd seal them (rubber washer under bolt head perhaps).

RE: DIY Beadlocks.....

Guess there would be nothing stopping you buying 2 sets? Or are the inner beadlocks differant to the outside? I suppose there could be probs with caliper clearance?

Just out of curiosity! What would a set of double beadlock rims cost?

Got Mach5 beadlocks on my 90 with 36" simexs.Fitted the tyres with body flex(Stuff used for fitting body kits on chav'd up novas)on the beads and on the clamp ring.Sticks like f*** but god knows what i will do when i need the tyres off again :huh:

Paul

Staun beadlocks fitted properly and maintained are excellent. Light and legal.

Mechanical beadlocks add a lot of rotational mass.

FB

I always intended to fit Staun's they seem like an ideal solution, lock both beads, they fit your existing wheels, so you can upgrade a a later date, and legal as you say. However I've been put off by some of the reports by forum members, not nice things said about them :( . I'm interested in how long you've had yours what tyres you use, what you use them for? and you mention maintenance?

Cheers

Andy

big jubilee clip idea is a Tyron internal beadlock - military jobbies, apprarently a major league PITA to work with (unless you are Vince Cobley of course)

adding roational mass? no more than a single mechanical beadlock, my tyres add a lot of rotational mass so the added mass is relatively peanuts plus they dont do stauns big enough :lol: Stauns seem to get mixed reviews mechanical is non-negotiable, its there - no messin

illegal - not had any complaints so far and split rims are legal on road cars so why not on offroad cars?

Stazblk.gif

Nige - uber bling Stazzies for ya :)

Warthog - give Matt Lee a bell and tell him what you want, I cant give you a clue pricewise really coz mine are custom jobs soz :(

single beadies drawback

DSC01980small.JPG

spot the prob?

DSC01981small.JPG

oops <_< bye bye sidewall

Normally rims have a safety bead on the inside. This normally prevents the inner bead from popping off. Also most forces are from the outside in. And third, the single beadlock prevents the tyre from spinning on the rim which is a big problem without.

Double beadlocks are better, but pricey, unless you can fit stock Hummer rims.

that is a conventional wheel in the pic Red- just with a weld on beadlock, so the safety beads are there and as you can see its had a bead spaz. Its not an everyday occurance but it happens often enough at low psi to warrant raising it as a consideration

stock hummer rims in the uk for good pennies and in decent condition? :o might not be overwhelmed for tyre choice for 16.5" rims though :(