Kids, and traveling in Landies.

Interesting:

14. Do the rules apply in cars not fitted with seatbelts?

Children under 3 must use the appropriate child restraint in all cases - there is no exemption for them in vehicles with no seatbelts in the rear, such as classic cars. However, children 3 years to 135 cms height may be carried in the rear of vehicles without restraints but they can only go in the front if they use the correct child seat or booster.

15. What if there are no seat belts in the rear of a vehicle (car/van/camper)?

Children under 3 must use the correct baby seat or child seat so they would need to be travelling in the front in the correct child restraint. Children 3 and up to 135 cms in height must use child seats or boosters in the rear where seat belts are fitted. The law is not going to make people fit restraints in the rear of vehicles where the seats do not have seat belts; but remember it is not safe for children to travel unrestrained. Cars dating from April 1982 will have seat belt anchorage points if they don't have seat belts - so fitting is easy.

So...

I have a 6 & 8 year old.. How do I put both in my Series, as its a truck cab with bench seats with 3 full seatbelts....

I can't put boosters in for both as they won't fit, unless I sit in the middle and my 8 yr old drives... :ph34r:

And whats the definition of a short unexpected journey...?

Hmmmm... :unsure:

Cheers

Pete

This is quite important legislation - instigated by the emergency services.

The problem with smaller people and adult seatbelts is the frequency of serious neck injuries and damage to internal organs, even under heavy braking :( Lap belts *must* be across laps, i.e. at the top of your legs, not accross stomachs etc. like they are on children without boosters.

For once this isn't a useless bit of legislation - there is good reason behind it and no matter how inconvient I'd really urge people to take it seriously. After all, the majority of child casualities on UK roads are generated inside the vehicle.

Jen (your friendly road safety officer)

just make the kids walk, exersize is good for them... :D

interesting that adult belts are dangerous on kids without booster seats. sheds a new light on driving a coach full of primary school kids wearing adult lapbelts, kind of defeats the law that introduced belts on coaches too?

Very interesting. I recently added a seat belt extender kit to the front passenger seatbelt in the Range Rover so that the belt was long enough to go round the Jenna's car seat properly. You can see a photo here:-

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dalesworld/174661558/

The extender kit bolts onto the end of the belt, and then fixes to the lower seat belt mounting point. I did make a posting on here about obtaining rear seat belts for the Range Rover, just in case we throw caution to the wind and have another baby! :o Haven't a clue what we'd do with the Series and its side facing bench seats in the rear!

I can remember when I was a kid, travelling in my Grandfathers Range Rover, sat on the gearbox tunnel inbetween the front seats! I would never contemplate letting a child do that these days, amazing what time and hindsight does to your perspective on what's safe!

sheds a new light on driving a coach full of primary school kids wearing adult lapbelts, kind of defeats the law that introduced belts on coaches too?

There is a spearate law that wil tackle this - as a large passenger vehicle they're excluded from this law - although school mini-buses aren't, so there's going to be some interesting problems there. IIRC many of the coach companies actually carry a stock of booster seats, they did this under voluntary agreement, but I doubt it'll be enough for a whole coach load. Be interesting to see what develops.

I'm with Will on this one - I spent quite a bit of my childhood with my dad while he indulged his hobby of military vehicles. According to current legislation it's a statistical miracle that I can survive travelling 60 miles in the back of a Humber Pig, three laps of Bovington in a Scammell Explorer or 25 miles (in the snow!) in the uncovered load bed of a GMC, huddled against the headboard trying to benefit from the engine heat that came up between the bed and cab.

As far as I can see, kids are remarkably hardy anyway and knowing your love and joy is loose behind or beside you encourages safer driving - giving a positive benefit to road safety perhaps?

you encourages safer driving - giving a positive benefit to road safety perhaps?

...it's not usually you you have to worry about, it's the nutters coming the other way.

The roads have got busier, yeah, I used to bounce around in the back of my Mum's mini too, but then traffic volumes and the capability of speed of vehicles has risen a hell of alot since then.

The advice and laws are made as time's change. I'm sure any parent would want the best for their kids and would do anything to ensure they're not seriously injured should the worst happen? I'm all for letting kids get on with it, climbing and playing etc. etc. but when that 44ton lorry pulls into the side of your car 'sorry mate, didn't see you' - you'd want the best protention possible?

I've seen pictures of the results of accidents without proper restriants. It's not pretty. If I have kids or I take my godson out, they'll be in proper restraints in my IIA, retro-fitting isn't that difficult.

What wrong with ratchet strapping them in the load bed, just like anything else :rolleyes:

The problem is getting the nipper to sit still long enough to get a ratchet strap round them. Jenna is getting increasingly mobile by the day, turn your back for a second and before you know it, this happens! http://www.flickr.com/photos/dalesworld/176403695/ :D