1988 - 110 brake circuit - which way around?

Hi All

I became the lucky owner of a 1988 110 CSW last year.

So far I have only had to replace the gearbox, transfer box, radiator, rear shocks, brake master cylinder, front brake discs and pads, rear drum shoes and have the foot-well patched so I reckon I got a good one ;)

Anyway I have been trying to improve the brakes which were frankly terrifying to start with.

It's a 1988 110 so has discs on the front and drums on the back.

I have had new discs and pads on the front and new shoes on the back. The wheel bearings and drums have been adjusted. And today a new brake master cylinder was put in.

Braking is much better but still not what I would call 'crisp'. There is still a lot of travel in the pedal before the brakes kick in.

Anyway while looking at the brake pipes I noticed something which has me confused.

On my 110 the way the pipes are arranged the front discs are on the primary circuit and the rear drums are on the secondary circuit.

But looking on page 493 here it looks like the rear drums should be on the primary:

http://www.retroanaconda.com/landrover/parts_books/110/6_vehicle_controls_brakes_fuel_air_p472-579.pdf

Am I reading the diagram right?

The garage is saying it is safer for front to be on primary but will swap it if I wish.

What do people think? Is there a reason that Land Rover put the rear drums on the primary? Could this explain the travel in the pedal?

Should I swap things around?

Cheers!

Hi guys

Many thanks for the info. I think we could be onto something here.

Looking at the diagram in western's post my brake lines are definitely the wrong way around.

They come out of the master cylinder ok but then go into a valve mounted on the body.

When they come out of this valve they seem to be crossed over with the secondary line going to the rear.

Looking at western's document - top right it looks like diagram B - so a PDWA valve.

What should I do? get the lines coming out of the PDWA valve swapped so the primary line goes to the rear bakes?

Can I get a replacement PDWA valve as the one on my 110 looks original and rather rusty!

Do you think any of this could explain the rather poor braking?

Set the pipes up as per the attached page, if the PDWA is working OK & not giving suprious brake failure warnings, leave it fitted, not sure how much new units are, but I would guess not a cheap item, mines original too & still serviceable.

Hi All

I became the lucky owner of a 1988 110 CSW last year.

So far I have only had to replace the gearbox, transfer box, radiator, rear shocks, brake master cylinder, front brake discs and pads, rear drum shoes and have the foot-well patched so I reckon I got a good one ;)

Anyway I have been trying to improve the brakes which were frankly terrifying to start with.

It's a 1988 110 so has discs on the front and drums on the back.

I have had new discs and pads on the front and new shoes on the back. The wheel bearings and drums have been adjusted. And today a new brake master cylinder was put in.

Braking is much better but still not what I would call 'crisp'. There is still a lot of travel in the pedal before the brakes kick in.

Anyway while looking at the brake pipes I noticed something which has me confused.

On my 110 the way the pipes are arranged the front discs are on the primary circuit and the rear drums are on the secondary circuit.

But looking on page 493 here it looks like the rear drums should be on the primary:

http://www.retroanaconda.com/landrover/parts_books/110/6_vehicle_controls_brakes_fuel_air_p472-579.pdf

Am I reading the diagram right?

The garage is saying it is safer for front to be on primary but will swap it if I wish.

What do people think? Is there a reason that Land Rover put the rear drums on the primary? Could this explain the travel in the pedal?

Should I swap things around?

Cheers!

Rear drum brakes should be piped to the rearmost (primary) port on the master cylinder as already noted. If you have too much travel after bleeding, then the rear shoe adjustment is nearly always the culprit. The rear shoes have to be adjusted until they are very close to the drums to get a good pedal with little travel. Cheap brake shoes (britpart) have caused me trouble in the past because they wouldn't adjust properly (starting to drag but still a long pedal). Using quality shoes solved the problem on that occasion.

Hope this helps,

Regards, Diff.

Hi All

Just a quick update - I got the pipes swapped over this morning so that the rear is now primary - front secondary.

The difference is subtle but I reckon it has made things better.

Braking feels smoother and stronger.

I even managed to lock the wheels up for the first time!

There is still a fair amount of travel in the pedal despite the drums being adjusted up.

To recap - new pads and disc on the front and shoes on the back. New master cylinder. All adjusted up.

Is there anything else I can try?

I have not done the brake hoses, should I replace those next? What about the braided ones do they make a difference?

braided 'goodridge' brakes hoses will help, your existing hoses if original items will be soft 7 might be balloning when the brake pressure is applied, new hoses braided or standard will prevent this 7 make the brake feel better.

my '89 110 has goodridge hoses fitted, they were a good improvement over the old standard hoses.

Ok - I reckon I will go with some braided hoses.

Can someone confirm this is the one for my 1988 110:

http://www.modworld.co.uk/land-rover-defender-110-metric-1983---1998-goodridge-braided-brake-hose-kit-2533-p.asp

Seems like a good price.

talk to Llama 4x4 before you buy any, David is a member on here.

http://www.llama4x4.com/page7.htm

Set the rear brakes up properly and bleed them with the shoes fully adjusted "on" so as to ensure you expel all the air, then readjust so that they just clear the drum.

If you still have too much travel at the pedal, you can adjust the preload on the master cylinder. If you separate the master cylinder from the servo, you will see a short gub screw and locknut on mounted inside the servo - lengthening this screw will increase the preload on the master cylinder itself (and obviously, shortening it reduces the preload). You won't need to detach the brake lines from the master cylinder to carry out this adjustment so you won't have any need to re-bleed the system.

HTH,

Matt

• 10 years later...

@land_rover_one_ten

I am pleased I found your post. My 1983 110 CSW had got the same cross-over with the primary and secondary circuits

When re-piping all my brake lines, I faithfully copied the original pipes leaving the master cylinder to the PDWA. Later I discovered it was actually wrong, by referring to the same source as you. I firmly believe my Land Rover left the factory with this incorrect configuration.  

• 3 weeks later...