200tdi Poor performance

Hi I have recently done the conversion to a 200 tdi from a N/A engine and it is a vast improvment but does not seem to be able to get to much top end speed acceleration is ok but whilst out yesterday a friend with a 2.5TD engine could keep with me and over take when I was flat out at only 55 mph - 60.

I think there is something wrong with the engine it puffs a bit of blue smoke out when starting from cold so I will be doing the valve stem oil seals but what else can I do to speed it up a little.

I am running the orgianl gearbox and transfer box and have a Lift and 285 / 75 / 16 muds my mates has standard road tyre so I know that would help him with speed but surely a 200 TDI should go a bit quicker then 60 mph.

Any ideas will be appriciated.

Thanks,

Baz

Can you feel the turbo coming on-boost?

Check all air ducting for leaks/blockages, including the intercooler.

Check the boost line from the turbo to the IP is connected and not leaking.

Remove the top of the IP and check the diaphragm spring fuel boost thingy moves up and down freely and that the diaphragm isn't split.

Check for blocked fuel filter/broken lift pump.

Hi have a look in the tech archive; there is a lot of info about adjusting you fuel pump.

I did it on my 300tdi and could not believe the difference and it only take about 5 min.

You can also do yer turbo which is also easy on the 200, 300tdi is a pain in the back side.

Frax

;)

I dont get no kick when the turbo comes in I will check the pipe that goes between the IP and the turbo also the diapham. Before tweaking the turbo I wanted to get it running well.

whats the best way to flush out an intercooler.

Hi I have recently done the conversion to a 200 tdi from a N/A engine and it is a vast improvment but does not seem to be able to get to much top end speed acceleration is ok but whilst out yesterday a friend with a 2.5TD engine could keep with me and over take when I was flat out at only 55 mph - 60.

I think there is something wrong with the engine it puffs a bit of blue smoke out when starting from cold so I will be doing the valve stem oil seals but what else can I do to speed it up a little.

I am running the orgianl gearbox and transfer box and have a Lift and 285 / 75 / 16 muds my mates has standard road tyre so I know that would help him with speed but surely a 200 TDI should go a bit quicker then 60 mph.

Any ideas will be appriciated.

Thanks,

Baz

might be your transfer box has the 1.667:1 gear instead of the standard 90/110 1.410:1 ratio. find the transfer box serial number & compare it with the info on http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=45

What Gromit said. I had exactly the same problem with my 200tdi conversion, turned out to be a couple of the pipes to the turbo, I had checked them previously and there were no obvious signs of wear, but I ordered a new set anyway, and once I changed them I could feel the turbo kick, something which didn't happen before. :D

Sorry for the silly question but I was at work when I replied so I asked so when i got home I could look straight away lazy I know.

I have got the serial number and it is 22D018781B

Looking at the Ashcroft site they don't list a 22B can anyone advise what ratio it might be.

Thanks,

Baz

Both engines are putting power through the same drive train, so perhaps you are expecting a bit too much :) You should out-accelerate him, less gear changes, and some better top end. I've had 78mph in a TD 90, and that was caning it. Check obvious things first - slack throttle cable is a very common thing that gets overlooked. Tappet gaps too, turbo action, intercooler, hoses, fuel filter, etc.

Les

Looking at the link you take the first 2 numbers

and The last letter which is a B a capital B

Not for the ratios you don't. The first 2 numbers give you the ratio (cause the all seem to have a 'D' in the prefix) and the suffix gives you the revision or age.

Hi Ok so I have now check and couble check my fuel lines, cleaned out the intercooler, change the lift pump, changed the Diesel filter, checked the boost pipe. but so no go.

I got a boost gauage and fitted that near the inection pump and plumbed it into the dash and my boost only goes to 0.3 bar

Any ideas Guys.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi sorry to bring up an old thread but I have made a bit of progress with getting it to go a bit quicker.

The waste gate was not fully closed so no boost was building up thats now sorted. I then got boost but nothing was happening with it so changed Injection pump now it goes much better I can get just about get to 65mph on a good trashing.

Should it not be able to go a bit quicker then that. Any ideas how to give me more 00mph before i start tweaking the pump I want to make sure its running as well as it should.

Thanks,

Baz

Hi sorry to bring up an old thread but I have made a bit of progress with getting it to go a bit quicker.

The waste gate was not fully closed so no boost was building up thats now sorted. I then got boost but nothing was happening with it so changed Injection pump now it goes much better I can get just about get to 65mph on a good trashing.

Should it not be able to go a bit quicker then that. Any ideas how to give me more 00mph before i start tweaking the pump I want to make sure its running as well as it should.

Thanks,

Baz

I think you're about there for an older engine, thats about what i get out of mine, which is same setup. she sits happily at 62mph on motorway and i would say I was thrashing it, but its working, will get up 70+ thrashing with a bit of downhill mixed in.

I'm working on sorting out a refurbished set of injectors, I've read some posts that this can be a contributor for older engines.