3 part exhaust manifold

Tonk

i've got my 3 piece 200 tdi defender exhaust manifold off the engine at present (turbo woes :(). i've taken the 3 pieces apart, when i put it back on engine should i use jointing compound where they slip together or just let them corrode up to seal? :unsure:

i've got my 3 piece 200 tdi defender exhaust manifold off the engine at present (turbo woes :(). i've taken the 3 pieces apart, when i put it back on engine should i use jointing compound where they slip together or just let them corrode up to seal? :unsure:

Tonk just put abit of RTV Silicone on the faces and it will be fine.

Chris

RTV on exhaust? u sure? i was thinkin more like exhaust jointing paste, i'm sure there was nothing on there from last time

Sorry Tonk didnt read your post,a little bit of grease on the cast iron stuff and RTV on the tube work NEVER had a problem!!!!!!!!!!!! Just make sure the faces are clean.

I think silicone might be affected by extremes of heat. For exhaust joints that have a reasonably good joint anyway I use FireGum - it's like a thick toothpaste and comes in a similar type of tube. Perfect for what you describe m8.

Les. :)

Read my above post,RTV on the system isnt even breaking sweat at those sort of temps.The manifold would be fine without anything on IF the faces are good.

Guest diesel_jim
I think silicone might be affected by extremes of heat. For exhaust joints that have a reasonably good joint anyway I use FireGum - it's like a thick toothpaste and comes in a similar type of tube. Perfect for what you describe m8.

Les. :)

It's cr@p for cleaning your teeth though!!! :blink::blink:

i'm talking about where the 3 parts slip in together, not on the mating face to the head. i too didn't know the rtv would stand upto those sort of temps

I'm with Les, I would just put a smear of exhaust assembly paste around the tubular slide in sections. Due to age, there may have been be some rust/carbon doing some of the sealing, which is now no longer there since you have taken it apart. If you put it together without assembly paste, it may take a while to 'seal'.

Regards,

Diff

RTV is holding mine together well enough, has done for ages - even the local lads at powerflow use it for the boyracers zorsts and the holdens they make manifolds for so cant be too bad, use whatever you feel is best for you though, its just another option :)

personally I find that RTV doesnt crack after the pipe has had a bit of an incident with an immovable thing, I also like the fact RTV has a million other uses and is nice and easy to work - I dont know about anyone else but exhaust putty always seems to prefer me to the thing Im trying to get it to stick to :(