Head Gskt gone on my Discovery in switzerland

Hish

If they aren't going to cough up the cost of repatriating then they should be paying to write the car off and dispose of it for you, that's what you are insured for. Get a quote ffroma local independant and tackle your insurers with that, failing that get the bits couriered out, buy some tools and get stuck in.

My mate has a Disco and one of the bills it came with was a new head, all in about £850 for a garage to do it, if you DIY then perhaps half?

Assuming a 300 TDi;

New head, 300 TDi £300

New glow plugs £30 ish

New/recon injectors £140

Gasket £15

Gasket set £20-35

Head bolts £15-30

2 gallons of antifreeze, £40

Valve springs, optional depending on mileage.

You'll need a set of sockets, breaker bar and/or torque wrench, protractor, big can of WD40 (gets the old gasket off) big box of plasters and lot of tea-bags.

Nice 1 mate .. it looks like it might be the only option.

I didn't know insurance covered engine failures? Crashes, accidents, fire, theft - Yes. What insurance do you have that covers mechanical breakdown?

I have a very expensive Insurance that came with a breakdown cover. the Insurance is called IBEX for LLOYDS of London they pray on British Expats or I.T contractors working in Spain & Portugal.

So, basically I am covered for anything you can think of in terms becoming carless ! level of cover is called "Prestige Cover with Repatriatrion or onwrd journey to final destination " Weel those plonkers didn´t do either :angry:

Now, why didn´t this cover do what it exactly promised on paper ?

The excuse was :" the repaire will cost more than the cars worth ?"

The same old carp I heard that happened to other mates before you see. This is what the Breakdown covers you for !

like the national recovery for RAC or AA .. just imagine u had a problem with yer old motor in sunny Scotland and your home is in London and the dear Breakdown cover company tell you "sorry mate your car isn´t worth putting on the truck to London !!" how does that feel ? not good :blink: coz they were very happy to take your dough when u phoned up first time around knowing every single detail about your car, then when you need them the most especially with your missus or family with you on the trip ! it is most definitly NOT what you want to hear.

From time to time I see some good cars such as Mercedes, BMW, Audi etc.. at times porshes on a toe truck !! I think to myself, god ! imagine that happens to me and those cars are only 3 or 4 years of age and they are on the recovery truck :blink: ?

I sincerely believe that these companies have to STOP taking the p**s outta the good people who kept them in business for all these years.. once the vehicle is accepted for insurance / Breakdown etc.. providing it is Taxed & MOT´d then it is final and there is no getting away from paying up.

It is carp and illegal what they do !! it isn´t fair.

I agree it isn't fair but insewerance companies are run by accountants, even the ones who pretend to be your friends are just wanting to make easy money. If the cost of fixing the problems outweighs the value of the item then they "write it off", an accounting term for accepting the loss and writing it down. A more correct term is "beyond economic repair". All breakdown cover will be limited by the value of the vehicle, (certainly international cover) as deemed by the inswerer who will of course value the vehicle to suit their own ends.

What, I wonder, would happen if you had a caravan on, ours cost £18,000 and without a car to tow that home with the loss would be far more than the £5,000 my car is insured for. If they took the 'van why not take the car?

Insewerance companies will be the first against the wall come the glorious revolution!

I think many of us have added concentrated anti freeze to the header tank and then run the engine for a while to ensure it all mixes nicely and no problems . Usually you have to drain off some of whats in the system to 'make room' - you didn't metion if this was/had to be done in your case .

Because if not it would have meant the level was already quite low if it took a litre of AF - so there may have been a problem before you left . And the long drive brought it to a head.

Just a thought ;)

My thoughts also.

Don't forget that you will need to get the cylinder head/s machined before refitting to the engine.

webbersdad

If the cost of fixing the problems outweighs the value of the item then they "write it off", an accounting term for accepting the loss and writing it down. (certainly international cover) as deemed by the inswerer who will of course value the vehicle to suit their own ends.

Insewerance companies will be the first against the wall come the glorious revolution!

Yea, sadly we are being ruled by accountants ! all corporations in this world have been under the control of finance dept. An ex-girl friend (finance director) in US company told me told that since they took complete control in management decisions may be in the early 90´s she said we just go by what suits the balance!! at times they can´t really asess the risks but if it looks good on the books it´s fine !

The revolution is on :ph34r: also, traffic wardens on my list too .

I Am trying some transport / recovery comapnies to see if I could do it without costing too much. Failing that this w-end I´ll stick a paper on the windows FOR SALE 500 squid.

Only the wheels on it are worth somink as 3 of´em are new, interior is good etc.. we´ll see.

Also I was reading insurance policies last night to start a new one for my other car, and it is a big joke ! 453 GBP for a little PT Cruiser and you need to add legal cover + personal injury + injury to driver .. on top of that you don´t get a green card for 3 months in Europe it will cost 189 GBP for a limited period proven by ferry or Eurotunnel ticket which means a week or so. I live in quite low risk area in surrey ;)

I am covered for very little really ! just a paper to gimme a pass when 5 O is doing traffic control ! they told me on the phone " well sorry sir, prices have risen by 15% "

what is going on ? is this an energy company now ? or fruit & veg suppliers ?

Cheers lads

So Hish, how did this story end?

Are you back in the UK with Disco intact by now?

Hey M8,

nuh still in sunny Switzerland .. trying to do somink with it but I am coming to the end of holidays which were meant to be in 2 or 3 countries but i ´m still .. looking for a solution. Can´t leave it here coz i ´ll get the Swiss authorities on my case if the car isn´t disposed off properly.

Really stuck and dunno what to do no mo´

Buy a car locally with a nice leather interior, tow your Disco out of switzerland (remind them about all the Nazzi gold as you leave) and sell the interior when you get back to the UK <_< decent moo for a RRC is about half the value of the Disco.

Looks like it´s curtains for my lovely RED tractor served me well tho´ I am bitter about those wasters that pocketed my money and took me for muppet :angry:

I should´ve learned from the Tony Bliars days " WMD n´all that kack that he coocked up DUBYA " if he could do it on telly why can´t IBEX ? :ph34r:

I If the cost of fixing the problems outweighs the value of the item then they "write it off", an accounting term for accepting the loss and writing it down. A more correct term is "beyond economic repair". All breakdown cover will be limited by the value of the vehicle, (certainly international cover) as deemed by the inswerer who will of course value the vehicle to suit their own ends.

This doesn't sound right to me. The breakdown companies job is to fix the vehicle at the side of the road and charge you for parts, or get you to a garage or your home. I've never heard of the RAC turning anyone down because they didn't think the car was worth taking! I've used breakdown companies a lot (had a Freelander TD4 <_< ) and never have they asked the value of the vehicle and not once has the recovery driver mentioned cost or value before loading it onto a truck. Usually it's "we can't fix it here, where do you want it taking?"

Hish, phone your Visa card company, tell them the problem, and ask them to help you get the vehicle home. Pay whatever it takes on the Visa card and then sort out the dispute in the small claims court later if the visa company don't want to help.

The breakdown companies job is to fix the vehicle at the side of the road and charge you for parts, or get you to a garage or your home. I've never heard of the RAC turning anyone down because they didn't think the car was worth taking!

never have they asked the value of the vehicle and not once has the recovery driver mentioned cost or value before loading it onto a truck. Usually it's "we can't fix it here, where do you want it taking?"

True M8 never thought it would be possible to leave you stranded but it seems to me as the International cover is the tricky one ! Now here´s the weird part.

Last year, I had a just under a year´s contract in Spain and wanted to be a bit more safer on the law side of things as I was one of those people who really believe a reputable company etc.. if they say they would cover something or not !

Never actually bothered to read the small print.. I ´ve been contracting on n´off in Europe since year 2000.

Thankfully I didn´t have car problems, or been even stopped once !

Reading Ex pats forums opened my eyes to a lot of small issues that can cost u a lot if u have the smallest accident with yer motor on the continent! I started really reading and even phoning the insurance to ask the questions as it can be tricky at times.

The car has to be in everyway in the legalities and the smallest requirements of the EU country u r in ! light deflectors for example how many of us don´t bother with those no more .. in recent years when I go to workd I see few British cars parked in the car park without deflectors or even the GB sticker and that can give some insurances an excuse to wiggle out of a claim or at least part of it.

So I went with what they told me at IBEX that my insurance that I had (Kwikfit) at the time wasn´t good enough around my 2nd or 3rd trip to year in the same year !

Well, apparently it is the other way around the IBEX one especially wasn´t good enough! if it Comes from a spannish insurer is not worth the paper that it`s written on as in case of an accident the Spanish 5 O will scrutenise you if you have a problem with a Spanish driver and even if it was his fault. :unsure:

My problem is the wording was very clear Repatriation or onward journey to final destination.

Now, I find out yesterday from the LLOYDS of London that they knew nothing about this issue and this is purely a breakdown company that failed me and the brokers have mis-sold the cover :blink: and there is me all this time thinking that B-dwn cover came from the LLOYDS :huh:

IBEX guys IBEX remeber that ! they the only ones that cover stupid Brits like me :angry: in spain & Portugal.

Now they aren´t even answering neither my calls nor my emails !! I ´ll have to find out if I could tackle them in the UK beings the guy I dealt with is English or it will be in Spain which will complicate things.

I have a good mate here in zurich helping big time in terms of accomdation etc.. otherwise I´d left long ago.

I ´ll ask Land Rover or any other garage if they would consider taking it for little money so I could take my number plates with & head back home ASAP.

It is a bitter lesson to learn from ;)

Really appreciate every answer, word of support i get from you guys coz I am feeling so down and I can asure you it isn´t about losing the car it is the way I was hussled ! :angry: