300tdi and lt77??!! HELP

Hi all. Basically i was under the impression that you could mate a 300tdi to an lt77 defender gearbox by using the 2.5td engine backplate. So i went to put the 2.5td backplate onto my 300tdi and it doesnt fit :( This is because of where the oil seal is on the 300. So what am i doing wrong. probably something stupid.

:unsure:

Cheers

Yes it is possible 

remove the 300Tdi crank rear oil seal & carrier & use the TD or 200Tdi seal these are common to all the pre-300Tdi 4 cylinder engines.

Edited by western
dead ink removed. info no longer available on internet.

hi, i have done exactly what you are trying to do, join a 300 tdi and lt77 together,

i used the backplate of the old td engine and it went straight onto the 300 tdi so can't really explain where your going wrong but it can be done if i can do it,

make sure you put some sealant round the backplate before bolting on to the engine as it will probably leak oil out like mine has when you get it running, having to split engine and box again to seal it :ph34r:

hope you get it sorted.

• 10 years later...
On 4/16/2011 at 4:58 PM, TurboBen said:

hi, i have done exactly what you are trying to do, join a 300 tdi and lt77 together,

i used the backplate of the old td engine and it went straight onto the 300 tdi so can't really explain where your going wrong but it can be done if i can do it,

make sure you put some sealant round the backplate before bolting on to the engine as it will probably leak oil out like mine has when you get it running, having to split engine and box again to seal it :ph34r:

hope you get it sorted.

Hi I have a forum opened up about my truck I have a 300tdi engine with a lt77 gearbox and obviously bell housing bolts don’t line up ? Trying to figure out what to do buy a new gearbox etc etc. How did you manage to do yours to make it all work ? Thankyou 

In Western's post above he explains that the flywheel housing (the part between the engine block and the gearbox bellhousing) should be from an earlier engine to mate up to the LT77 gearbox. (flywheel housing from a 200Tdi, 19J TD or the 12J NA diesel for example will all work to mate perfectly to the 300Tdi block and the LT77 bellhousing). 

To do this you will need to remove the clutch and flywheel from your 300tdi, remove the 300tdi aluminium flywheel housing with the bolt on type oil seal. You then need to replace this with a 200tdi or earlier flywheel housing with the appropriate push fit rear crank oil seal (200Tdi or earlier part number). Once you have then put the flywheel and clutch back on engine the LT77 bellhousing should fit perfectly. Your engine will sit further back than a 300Tdi coupled to an R380 gearbox so might look a bit weird compared to a factory fit 300Tdi.

Just to be sure I understand this correctly on how to mate an LT77 to a 300 Tdi :

- Remove flywheel housing from the 200 Tdi

- use a 200 Tdi rear crankshaft seal on the 300 Tdi

- Fit the 200 Tdi Flywheelhousing (with sealant) to the 300 Tdi engineblock

- fit the flywheel & clutch (200 / 300 Tdi are the same ?)

- Mate LT77 to the 300 Tdi

- Modify enginemounts as 300 Tdi sits not in the same position as the 200 Tdi.

I've mated two 300tdi's to LT77's in both my Series 3 and xMOD 110, what I'm reading above seems to be a lot more work than I did. Remove the studs from the transmission, then move them around till you find the pattern that works but you will have a few extra. At the very bottom there is plenty of space to drill and tap a new stud location. Going off memory I think at the end of the day you will have 2 less studs but don't fret it, I've driven my series like this for over 10 years without any issues. Like Ralph wrote, the all the clutch parts are common. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Arjan said:

Just to be sure I understand this correctly on how to mate an LT77 to a 300 Tdi :

- Remove flywheel housing from the 200 Tdi

- use a 200 Tdi rear crankshaft seal on the 300 Tdi

- Fit the 200 Tdi Flywheelhousing (with sealant) to the 300 Tdi engineblock

- fit the flywheel & clutch (200 / 300 Tdi are the same ?)

- Mate LT77 to the 300 Tdi

- Modify enginemounts as 300 Tdi sits not in the same position as the 200 Tdi.

That is correct. 

Except I am not sure about the engine mounts. 

1 hour ago, smallfry said:

That is correct. 

Except I am not sure about the engine mounts. 

A factory fitted 300tdi to an R380 sits further back and also has a different type of engine mount to earlier engines. 

You can either cut your old mounts off the chassis and weld in 300Tdi chassis mounts in the correct position or keep your older mounts and bolt them to the 300Tdi block as the original threaded holes are still present on the 300Tdi block. The problem this will then present you with is the location of oil filter on a 300tdi. On earlier engines the filter is at an angle so doesn't present this issue. On the 300tdi the filter comes straight down so it wouldn't be possible to fit the engine mount from an earlier engine. I don't know if you could use an earlier filter housing on a 300Tdi. One solution is to fabricate a mount that forms a box round the 300tdi filter. 

3 hours ago, monkie said:

A factory fitted 300tdi to an R380 sits further back and also has a different type of engine mount to earlier engines. 

You can either cut your old mounts off the chassis and weld in 300Tdi chassis mounts in the correct position or keep your older mounts and bolt them to the 300Tdi block as the original threaded holes are still present on the 300Tdi block. The problem this will then present you with is the location of oil filter on a 300tdi. On earlier engines the filter is at an angle so doesn't present this issue. On the 300tdi the filter comes straight down so it wouldn't be possible to fit the engine mount from an earlier engine. I don't know if you could use an earlier filter housing on a 300Tdi. One solution is to fabricate a mount that forms a box round the 300tdi filter. 

300tdi engine with a R380 sit up & forward over the front axle, chassis engine mounts are further forward, gearbox bell housing is longer on a R380/30tdi factory fit. 

1 hour ago, western said:

300tdi engine with a R380 sit up & forward over the front axle, chassis engine mounts are further forward, gearbox bell housing is longer on a R380/30tdi factory fit. 

Yes, sorry I got that back to front as its the R380 where it sits forward. It sits further back when coupled to the LT77.