Oil for gearbox

Hello all.

Hope your all having a good time?

I did a good service on my landy 110 1997 300tdi over the last week, also putting a set of light force 170 spot lights on, by the way thanks everyone for your help & advise.

I was going to put dextron 111 ATF gear oil in, when I asked at my local very good LR garage MR Autos, who advised that they always drop the ATF dextron 111 out of the box's they service and replace it with Dura gear 75-85 manual gear oil API GL 4, so that is what I have done, my question is has anyone else heard of doing this, or is this something that is only done in Australia/south africa cause that was the accent of the mechanic?

Cheers for any advise

ted

That oil is too thick, you will prob be OK in summer operation , but the MTF is the LR spec oil

But I would go further and advise you to seriously consider RedLine full synthetic MTF , this suggestion is based on operating landrovers in WA over many years working hard in ambients of 40C + The sunoco duragear product is only a semi synth anyway. HTSH

deffo MTF94 just done mine. Drained the ATF and put in Genuine MTF94 which if memory serves is only made by Texaco. No other manufacturers are appproved for use in LR gearboxes.

Oh and i should point out MTF94 is actully GL4 75-80 according to various googles.

For what its worth...

As where I am MTF94 is not available I use a Dextron III with good results.

I have also tried Castrol VMX which I think is a 75w90 GL4 and my gearchange (1to2 when cold) was worse then the Dextron III. I have also now tried Redline MTL and would again say that the gearchange with the Dextrol III was still better.

I do change the oils in the main box at 20-30k kms.

deffo MTF94 just done mine. Drained the ATF and put in Genuine MTF94 which if memory serves is only made by Texaco. No other manufacturers are appproved for use in LR gearboxes.

Oh and i should point out MTF94 is actully GL4 75-80 according to various googles.

cant be! 75w80 is nearly as thick as the ep90 we chuck in diffs etc! No way on earth MTF94 is simillar to a heavy gear oil.

However, miller oils website does state that their XSS 10W40 engine oil meets MTF94 spec for gear boxes. Not sure how much cheaper the millers stuff is though.

http://www.millersoils.net/1_Millers_frame_AUTO_RETAIL.htm

then select premium range, then engine oil, then XSS 10W40

If you use search, you'll find a recent thread about the use of ATF or MTF in the R380, with some good explanations why LR first advised ATF.

As for me, I use Belco MTF GL5 80W90, both for the R380, LT230 and my diffs. Not sure about GL4, but GL5 is suitable for hypoid and planetary gears, such as in differentials.

@Nick, when I changed the R380 from ATF to MTF in my Range, at first the cold shifts to first and second and especially when downshifting were not so smooth. I must point out we had almost constant temperatures below freezing over here when I did the change. After a few 1000 km, it seems to have improved, and all gearchanges are now easier. Maybe some of the ATF remained and took time to mix with the MTF before proper performance was achieved.

Filip