Puff of black smoke on startup

Whenever I start my 300TDi defender I get a puff of black smoke, it doesn't smoke after this but does it every time regardless of how long it's been stood, 30 seconds, 5 minutes or 5 hours

A mechanic said it's normal as they over fuel on start up to get them going and they all do it, is that right

Had it MOT'd recently and the tester couldn't believe how low the emissions were

• 3 years later...

Evening All, I Had This Non Worrying event for ages until today. For ages Its always puffed and started on the first 1/4 turn of the Starter Motor. Did It as ever thursday Morning as i took it down for MOT.

Get it Back today, No Puff of Smoke, Took 2 or 3 turns of the Starter Motor to start up. Then It wouldnt pull and or just tick over and not accelerate.

What has the Garage Likely to have done & Why and how do i put it back to how it was on Thursday.

Thanks In Advance

Nick

PS In relation to previous Post, Why would the Garage have done anything to the Defender other than MOT Works Required (Welding) and could the works have affected the Systems ?? (Fuel Return Pipes on the side where the welding and waxoling was Done Could they have been damaged and would it affect the Starting/ running pulling etc not that i can see any issues.

Thanks

Nick

They should not have touched anything on the MOT....

Yes, if the fuel pipes, (plastic) have been slightly melted then the flow could be poor resulting in what you say. Fuel needs at least 6mm to work in a 300Tdi (IIRC). I;ve seen a 3mm stop the vehicle starting and running. So 4mm may generate a poor start and then crappy power. Its just not getting fuel. In the case i mentione they changed a banjo on the fuel filter for one from and different car and the hole in it was 3mm and not 6mm and it took hours to figure out that is just a flow thing. Porr starting anf rough running and certainly no power.

You may have answered your own questions. I'd bee looking at fuel starvation. (if not the case then Turbo)

Lot of typos but you get the drift.

Feed fuel direclty into the filter from a can via a pipe or onto the pump to check its not the chassis pipes....should be esay to do with a length of hose and a bucket of diesel and a few pipe clips.