Electrical help requiered

I think I'm missing something here. I have a test bulb when put across battery terminals it works but when I earth to chassis I get nothing I've cleaned chassis back to shiney metal but still no light. Anybody be able to explain what I'm doing wrong. I've tried different places polished parts of chassis to make a good contact but nothing. My understanding is If I don't get a good earth from battery I won't get anything to work. Any advise will help thanks. Its on a 1988 Defender which is converted to 300TDI.

I think I'm missing something here. I have a test bulb when put across battery terminals it works but when I earth to chassis I get nothing I've cleaned chassis back to shiney metal but still no light. Anybody be able to explain what I'm doing wrong. I've tried different places polished parts of chassis to make a good contact but nothing. My understanding is If I don't get a good earth from battery I won't get anything to work. Any advise will help thanks. Its on a 1988 Defender which is converted to 300TDI.

Either your eating strap is poor and needs replacing. because directly connecting negative to the chassis and a positive connection should show on any test meters.

1. Test the battery first.

2. Test a simple circuit with light bulb method by connecting to earthing point on chassis then negative end of wired bulb to chassis. next attach positive wired end of bulb to positive terminal.

3. A very bright bulb will not show poor battery or weak cable join each will need checking and replacing.

Hope this helps :)