Shire Punch Card Challenge 18th Sept

LR90

A well laid out sight - something for everyone with some skill required to drive some sections to avoid winch use which is good to see, rather than just winching everything.

Thats really good to hear, as that was the exact goal.

Give the road'ish vehicles a fair chance, and maybe just push it a little bit more than they would on a regular play day.

Romsey is an awkward site, it goes from quite tame to impossible/dangerous with not too much in between, especially when its that dry.

Glad you had a good time

Thanks to Hillbilly Stu for the sandwiches while we waited for the trailer.

Teamwork and friendship, the HILLBILLY way! :D

And yes WE DID WIN!!! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

ithink we need a new rule. how about divide the score by the amount of damage done.

Everyone starts with a damage score of 1.

So for marks machine we get

1 track rod

1 oil cooler

1 wheel hub falling off

gives a factor of 4

so (75 * 85%) /4 =15.93 oops you came last :)

Mind you if guy was taking part he would have scored 0.01 :)

Some pics of Si Whites' and my truck at the weekend. nothing too exciting but then photos nver do any real justice:

a different approach to getting on of the punches as we were already up there!:

SiWaffels.jpg

a short but steep drop - at least there was a good run out

steep.jpg

and Si doing a boggy one in the woods!:

7b26f0ec.jpg

and well it had to be done, i didnt have the courage(??!!!) of driving straight down and into it as Will did the day before you never know how deep it is/was:

123_2308.jpg

Some of my fairly poor photos....

James driving to one of the first punches we got - if this'd been in the wet it'd have been a very different event!

DSC00600.jpg

Me being winched up for a punch. Everyone else just ignored the tape and drove round the back to it :angry:

DSC00614.jpg

Will Warne, fortunately not marshalling too hard, who showed us some bits of the site (and punches) we didn't know about!

DSC00610.jpg

My truck 'breaking ground' - the first one into this punch for the day - that mud STANK! You can just about see my new dent that I acquired about 5 minutes befire this - on the wing just in front of the cage

DSC00605.jpg

All in all, a fantastic day out, would have benifited from having the punches attached to terra firma slightly more firmly so some competitors couldn't just pull them out of the ground, carry them to thier waiting trucks, then put them back :angry:

ithink we need a new rule. how about divide the score by the amount of damage done.

1 track rod

1 oil cooler

1 wheel hub falling off

gives a factor of 4

didn't stop

didn't stop him carrying on half way through the day, but then most of them looked like they were out for a Sunday drive :lol:

Got a bit carried away with the running around getting punches, so here's the only photos I got this time...

IMG_3785c.jpg

IMG_3786c.jpg

IMG_3787c.jpg

IMG_3788c.jpg

I had a fantastic day, thanks to Simon and James for having me along, as I was coming home that way anyway it was well worth the detour! :)

As others have said the punches were well laid out and I didn't spend my whole day looking behind every single tree for the punches - it was about getting to the punch rather than finding the things! Shame some people pulled branches off trees to get the punch closer rather than winching or trying a different route, and quite a few people just drove over the red tape to get a punch rather than going the more challenging way they were supposed to.

Hope Guy got back okay in the end and the damage isn't too bad - has anyone got the pictures and video uploaded yet? If you haven't got space email them to me and I'll host it. For those that missed it, the 110 ended up with water halfway up the windscreen in this pond (just the top of the dash rail visible inside), whilst trying to get some of the mud off :o

123_2308.jpg

Thanks to Hillbilly Stu for the sandwiches while we waited for the trailer.

Teamwork and friendship, the HILLBILLY way! :D

And yes WE DID WIN!!! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

1 track rod

1 oil cooler

1 wheel hub falling off

gives a factor of 4

Paul,

u forgot i broke a front shaft too (about half an hour after i got there) and just drove on it all day ;)

this did take out my railko bush and bottom bearing aswell

is my score getting lower :blink:

Shame some people pulled branches off trees to get the punch closer rather than winching or trying a different route, and quite a few people just drove over the red tape to get a punch rather than going the more challenging way they were supposed to.

I think thats really stupid.

Cheating is so easy.

We put a lot of effort into putting the punches in just the right spot so they'd need a bit of thought.

We spent £30 on canes to hang the punches off and most of them are trashed. Next time we'll electrocute the canes !!

The guy removing his door to get the punch at the previous event was funny, but snapping off tree branches come-on.

About 4 punches were lost completely either driven over or whatever.

:angry::angry::angry:

Andy, couldn't agree with you more.

The punches were in great locations, but certain elements of the competitors were not in the spirit of the event / sport at all.

I remember one punch (the one in the far corner of the dust bowl) - we got to it late in the day. It was clear that the punch was intended to be a lot further in / up the slope than it was when we were there, which would have neccessitated a lot more driving and some winching to get to it. The trouble was that someone had clearly not bothered and simply pulled the branch off and moved the punch to where they could get it :angry::angry:

Same with the punch on top of the gravel hill after the water, as in my photo. We took the time and effort to winch up the slope out of the water, but everyone else just drove over the tape and got it in about 10 seconds :angry::angry:

I think the event was absolutely fantastic and had a great time doing it, in awesome company and had a lot of fun. It's vital that we promote 'grass roots' challenge-type events that Joe Bloggs can do in his daily-drive Discovery, but we need to clamp down a bit on the 'Rednecks in a Rangie' (no offence to anyone, but you know the type I mean!) who can't be a*sed to to things properly. Marshals should not be afraid to issue fines to anyone not completing the punches correctly.

Drivers could be issued with a simple A4 instruction sheet at briefing detailing how to approach the punches eg 'Punch 23 - approach from the bottom of the slope, do not drive over the tape. Punch 24 - reverse in through the trees and into the stream' etc.

And if the punches were really attached to things - Scorpion use wood screws into roots, tree trunks etc - then there's no chance of them being relocated.

[/big Angry Rant] :D

My truck 'breaking ground' - the first one into this punch for the day - that mud STANK!

:lol: Thats 'cos it's an old Land fill site... I'd hate to see whats under the surface!! :blink:

Glad you all enjoyed the day, I'm gutted that I wasn't able to attend :unsure::( , it sounds like it was a corker of an event!

Apparently Ali has hosted the vid of guy drowning the camel...

Guys drowned camel

Was an excellent event, congrats must go to those who set out the punches. I was bloomin' amazed that our team came 3rd - my dad's not exactly a seasoned chellenge driver, and our team-mates Ian and Olly spent half an hour at the start working out how to attatch a tow rope :blink:

I think we need some bigger canes next time and hammer them in good and proper, perhaps a penalty for running them over?

A big thank you to Shires club members who ran the event. Me and my team mates had a great time, this was my first competition (not even tyro or rtv before) and we had a ball.

I did see some cheating, there was a punch that was taped off from one side in a small enclosed area, one team just took the tape off and reversed up to it while we were there. A real shame because another truck came the proper way, got stuck on the sandy bank and broke a drive shaft doing it that way.

That punch on the mound next to the mud - were you really supposed to approach from the water then? when we had a look the tape looked like it stopped you coming from that direction and you had to reverse up from the other side. I thought there was a punch on the bank in the water (in fact I went in and looked for it) which you were supposed to get.

We managed to get 39 punches in the Standard class (I'm sure it should have been novice class as none of us had done one before) and didn't break out the winches.

I'm already looking out for another one to take part in.

Yup - the Seven Sisters one is a seriously good event :) Our first time there last July and it was fantastic B)

Alot of the 'Big boys' present all of whom are up for a fun event and enjoy helping people out and having a laugh, take it as seriously (or not!) as you like. The site is fantastic, something for everyone (seriously!) and the punches are laid out to suit.

Details will be anounced at the next club social although it's a J33P club event, so all organisation through them :)

All details can be found here: J33P Club

Let me know if there's any questions :)