Standard 300 tdi turbo or hybrid ??

Hi all

Although my 300 tdi turbo is still pulling well there are big signs of wear !!

The main problem is it's spraying oil out everywhere !! I know they do a bit but this is alot !!

Right the fuel pump has been slightly tweaked and she has a large front mounted intercooler as well so what your opinions on which turbo to fit ?

Standard 300 tdi garett or a hybrid turbo ???

Many thanks

Chris

Hi western

The oil pipes are dry the oil is coming out of the turbo where the intercooler pipe is fitted so it I remove the intercooler hose and rev slightly there quite a lot of oil mists out !!!

have you cleaned the intercooler internally & the cyclonic breather on the side of the cylinder head, a small amount of oil mist isn't the end,

A few guys on her have just replaced the guts of the turbo's but sounds like you're working it hard, I'd maybe consider a hybrid, but then again if the Turbo had 200k on the clock then get another standard one and see how it deals with your tweeks - doesn't sound like you've done anything outragous so...

Thanks for the advise guys

I haven't a clue what mileage the engine has done as it's in a 1986 90 which replaced a 2.5td the mileage of the new engine wasn't recorded anywhere I have done the sensible things like cambelt etc and she gets oil changes every 4k so like you say maybe I wlill be better just getting a standard one thanks for all your help

Cheers Chris

Very interested in this as I have the same issues, though maybe not quite that advanced. Paddocks/MailOrder 4x4 list new Garret turbos for 395+VAT, Turbo technics do a hybrid for 495.80+VAT so not that much more expensive (OK bad enough). Some places offer a 360 deg thrust bearing too. The VNTs are probably lovely, but there is a problem with some VNTs having the vanes stick, and they are much more expensive. If your problem is just a seal, you can buy rebuild kits, but not sure how possible it is without the correct tools.

Nigel

I had mine rebuilt by "the Turbo Centre" for about £180, and it was collected by their courier and delivered back in three working days. It made quite a difference to the performance of my engine, too, even though I didn't send the waste gate rod or actuator with it.

• 1 year later...